- Empidonax minimus
- Gray-olive upperparts (darker wings and tail)
- Gray breast
- White underparts
- Yellow sides to the belly
- Bold white eye ring
- White wing bars
- Small bill
- Dark upper mandible, pinkish lower mandible
- Short tail
- Blackish legs
It is similar in appearance to the larger Eastern Wood Pewee.
Likely to overlap with Acadian Flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher, Buff-breasted Flycatcher, Cordilleran Flycatcher, Dusky Flycatcher, Gray Flycatcher, Hammond's Flycatcher, Pacific-slope Flycatcher, Pine Flycatcher, White-throated Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Yellowish Flycatcher.
See also Empidonax.
Open deciduous or mixed woods.
They make a cup nest on a fork in a small tree.
Diet includes insects taken in flight or gleaned from foliage, also berries.
Song: a dry che-bec
Call: a sharp whit
- Clements, JF. 2011. The Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to August 2011. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Least Flycatcher. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 30 November 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Least_Flycatcher
Search the Gallery using the scientific name:
Search the Gallery using the common name:
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.