• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what was your bird of the day ? (2 Viewers)

I thought my bird of the day was going to be the Golden-crowned Kinglets I found on a wooded trail until I went to the Ottawa River and saw a Peregrine Falcon sitting on a gravel "sandbar" in the river next to a dead gull...

Mine today was a female Merlin, strangely enough sitting on the platform at Kilcoole Railway station (which was deserted). I assume she was interested in quarry somewhere nearby. She flew off along the tracks and came back to the same spot again, a few times.

My bird of the day (November 17th) was Common Loon (aka. Great Northern Diver). I saw about fifteen (15) of them on Smithville Lake which is near Kansas City, Missouri.

My bird of the day had to be this Red Shouldered Hawk, that came into my garden the 2nd time this week.

Attachments

• 103.JPG
    103.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 76
My bird of the day was this nice looking male Sardinian warbler in the garden this morning eating some berries

Attachments

• DSCN020.jpg
    DSCN020.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I know this makes me sound like a sad basket case, but mine were Yellowhammer and Common Redpoll!! However you have to consider these were in the deep south of Spain. Alpine Accentors and 40+ Rong Ouzels were nice!

Weird, in Chiang Mai

Mine, and it may sound a bit unbelievable --I can only hope it shows up again , or even stays around for a few days, maybe my 5X camera and some sunshine (yes, the rainy season's over, but it was gloomy and rainy today) will help me picture the proof (or show it to be something really weird and different) ---was a pale YELLOW Coppersmith Barbet. Wow, was I surprised when walking out my front door this morning! It was hanging out with a biggish flock of Chestnut-tailed Starlings -- the pics I did manage to get were pure garbage... Oh well.

Hello, Larry. Well, yes and no. C Barbets are old friends of mine so when I heard one I looked for it, and what I saw was pure yellow,no streaking but some darker edges to the wings, and it had the red forehead and red neck gorget. I'm pretty sure it was a juvenile, also. I had to runin and find my highly inadequate camera, which cut into by bins-viewing time but it was pretty unmistakeable.

Thanks for your interest. Hope I see it again. They (the Barbets in my patch) tend to come back....

Marie

I will, of course, keep looking into what if any other possibilities it could have been. Suggestions welcome!

Last edited:
Bird of the Day (in our yard): Red-breasted Nuthatch (a winter visitor here in Missouri)

Bird of the Day later around Lake Contrary, St.Joseph, Missouri: Lapland Longspur (aka. Lapland Bunting)

Honorable mention: three (3) Least Sandpipers at Lake Contrary (it is getting a little late for them to be passing through Missouri on their way south).

My bird of the day for Sunday would be Pine Grosbeak.
I saw 6 fly over and land in a nearby tree.
I got a quick look before they flew off.

Well, I went and scouted my new property (2 1/2 acres) for about 3 hours today. Among the notables were Coopers Hawk, male and female Eastern Towhee, Pine Siskin, and two others I can't identify.

I can't wait to move there, but I got to build my house first

I took a friend and her "budding birder" son from Memphis, Tennessee, birding around the oxbow lakes this morning. This area is just south of Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Our bird of the day was a lone Sandhill Crane. It was standing roadside at the edge of a harvested soybean field. I have only seen Sandhill Cranes in the Saint Joseph area once before, in 1999. We "hit the jackpot" regarding the icterids, observing Eastern and Western Meadowlarks; Red-winged, Rusty and Brewer's Blackbirds; Common and Great-tailed Grackles and Brown-headed Cowbirds.

*We some times get migrant Yellow-headed Blackbirds passing through in the spring and fall, but not in the winter time.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back