• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what was your bird of the day ? (2 Viewers)

Two "birds of the day", today! I saw a Merlin near Muskrat Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri. I also saw a Northern Shrike (aka.,Great Grey Shrike) in the same area near Lake Contrary where I had seen one on November 9th of this year.

Hmm ive had some very different best birds of the last five days.. today - umm, grey wag, yesturday - hmm, woodpig, Sunday - Iceland gull, Saturday - Desert wheatear, Friday - Lesser scaup.

I'm sensing a low after a high period!!

Spotted Sandpiper, wintering on a reservoir in Cardiff, about 10 mins from home. It's been here about 6 weeks now. I saw it when it 1st arrived, but took my wife and aunty to see it today. It showed to 20 feet on mud below the car park. Excellent!
(For those of you from the USA, they are very rare in Britain. This bird is the first S Sand in the county since 1974, and in Britain as a whole there are probably less than 15 records each year.)

Red-shouldered Hawk

My bird of the day today is a Red-shouldered Hawk.

I was on my way out to meet the Audubon Society for a morning birdwalk at my favorite local patch.

As I'm driving I see a large brown lump of something sitting on the wires. My first thought was "Oh it's just a Red-tailed Hawk", but how cool that he's in a great place for a photo.

As I got closer I realized no, not a RTH, but a Red-shouldered Hawk!

At first I took a few photos from the car thorugh the windshield. The hawk seemed to notice but wasn't concerned.

I pulled over and got out. I was able to approach the hawk and get a good number of photos.

I was fortunate enough that this spot was right on the crest of a small hill. Thus the ground was close to the hanging wires and the bird was just a few feet above my head.

The hawk was very accomodating and allowed me to fire off a lot of photos.

The Red-shouldered Hawk isn't a life bird for me, but I've never had such an amazing up close and personal experience with this BOP before.

Question: Is it odd for a Red-shouldered Hawk to be in a suburban neighborhood?? My field guide (Sibley) indicates they are a forest bird.

Attachments

• RSH-crop-ps.jpg
    RSH-crop-ps.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 65
I arrived at Hardwick Park (near Chesterfield, Derbyshire) just before the sun came up this morning, the ponds were frozen over and a low lying mist covered surrounding fields. It was a picture postcard scene. After about an hour I sat down for a much needed coffee, not just to quench my thirst but to warm my hands when I was joined by 4 Goldcrests. They were so busy feeding they didn't even notice me. They must have been about 5-6 feet away for what seemed like about half an hour (in reality it was 5 minutes). Although I see these birds fairly often, when you get so close to a wild bird it makes your hairs stand up.

Last edited:
My "bird of the day" was a Prairie Falcon seen sitting atop a utility line pole. I was able to watch it for about five minutes before it took off. This was in the oxbow lakes region in the vicinity of harvested agricultural fields just south of Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Four "BIRDS of the day" Today, St.Joseph, Missouri

I thought I would check on the PRAIRIE FALCON this morning, December 26, to see if it were still around. This bird is not all that common here in Missouri, but they are seen occasionally.

Yes it was! I watched it for about five minutes. It was sitting atop the utility pole, the fourth one back from Pettet Road (looking north). This is the road that runs west from 59 Highway to 41st Road near Muskrat Lake (south of St.Joseph).

I observed a male, taiga race MERLIN, Falco columbrius columbrius, for about ten minutes eating what looked like a small rodent over by Muskrat Lake. It was sitting on top of a fence post. I watched it while parked on 41st Road at the intersection of Pettet and 41st.

After these two easy sightings, I had to search quite a bit to get an American Kestrel (a common bird here), but I finally got one over by Lake Contrary.

Other raptors in the area were five Bald Eagles and several Red-tailed Hawks.

When I got back home there were seven PINE SISKINS feasting on niger seed in the sock feeder along with the other regulars at our backyard feeding station. Two RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES continue to be daily visitors at the peanut feeder.

I think the 'bird of the day' that stands out in my mind was seeing the Crossbill in Callander, Stirling, Scotland in 2003

The day before yesterday, I sighted a Diver (Red Throated, a possibility) on the River Great Ouse in Bedford. Now this sighting has taken the lead from the Crossbill.

Or maybe they a level pegging, Hmmm cannot make up my mind now :-O

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
How's that puddle of yours doing Bob?

Todays bird is a lone Avocet on my patch,
Hi Halftwo,the puddle got bigger with the rain but most of the birds have gone "sarf" for the winter,will check again in April.
Blackcaps, Black redstarts and Sardinian warblers everywhere at the moment.

Attachments

• DSCN0573 copy.jpg
    DSCN0573 copy.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 61
for yesterday:
a great spotted woodpecker. not for the specie but because of the way i saw it
i was watching a group of tits when it flew past me at 6 feet distance. than it sat in a tree in front of me where i could watch it for over 20 minutes, really stunning experience

Well i wasnt exactly birding today but i went into town and saw a Pied Wagtail, I had'nt seen one for a long time. So that was a treat compared to the dozens of Feral Pigeons we usually get flapping around! |=)|

I set out today to to see a new life bird. A new bird for the new year to get it started right.

I went to one of my favorite local spot's, the Ballona Freshwater Marsh.

I was able to add two new birds today. I saw a pair of Green-winged Teals plus a Cackling Goose.

As a bonus I got some pictures of a Wilson's Snipe. I saw one last April at the marsh, but it was a fleeting glimpse as the bird flushed. There must have been a dozen or more of the snipes hiding in some tall grass today.

All in all a good day of birding.

Attachments

• Green-winged Teals male, female Jan. 08 PS.jpg
    Green-winged Teals male, female Jan. 08 PS.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Cackling Goose Jan.08 PS.jpg
    Cackling Goose Jan.08 PS.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Wilson's Snipe PDR Jan 08 PS.jpg
    Wilson's Snipe PDR Jan 08 PS.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back