• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eastern Kansas (USA) 2 day trip, early June 2023 (1 Viewer)

Seth Miller

United States
I'm currently based in Kansas, USA (although studying in Pennsylvania). I got back from college at the very end of May which is after most of spring migration is already past, but I decided to do a quick trip out to the eastern part of the state. I had 5 lifer targets: Henslow's Sparrow, Eastern Whip-poor-will, Acadian Flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher, and Yellow-bellied Flycatcher. I also hoped for Black Vultures which would be a new state bird for me. We ended up totaling 126 species across the two days including all my lifer targets! Besides the lifer targets other highlights were a late Magnolia Warbler in Riley county, Common Gallinules and the Trumpeter Swan in Neosho county, and Chautauqua countys first record of White-winged Dove.

Three of my friends (all brothers actually) went along with me which made it a lot more fun. The youngest of the three (he's 15 currently) topped the state last year for # of species seen at 322. This year he's second at 285 currently. I was also pretty competitive last year, staying even with him until I left for college, but being gone most of this year has made so I won't have a very high year list this time around.

For full details and a bunch more pics (including other nature pics, not just birds) check out my blog post.

The attached photos are:
1) Summer Tanager
2) Willow Flycatcher
3) Upland Sandpiper
4) Carolina Chickadee
5) Great Spangled Fritillary
6) Diamondback Watersnake

Attachments

• _DSC7125-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
    _DSC7125-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
  • _DSC7138-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg