• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what was your bird of the day ? (2 Viewers)

I spotted a White-winged Fairy-Wren while driving around the scrub in south west NSW. They're a brilliant cobalt blue, fantastic! Not rare, but my first.

Went to see the Black-throated Thrush in Stockholm today. Almost ridiculously easy to see, sitting eating apples in a garden some 8 meters away... but a very nice bird. :)

Spent the day at Upton Warren (Worcestershire, UK) today. A good (without being great) day.
Photography was hampered by the ever increasing (and bitterly cold) east wind.
But here are a few of my day's favourites.

Attachments

• Snipe2_forum.jpg
    Snipe2_forum.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Bullfinch (Female)_form.jpg
    Bullfinch (Female)_form.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Great Tit 3_forum.jpg
    Great Tit 3_forum.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Curlew2_forum.jpg
    Curlew2_forum.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Water Rail 2_forum.jpg
    Water Rail 2_forum.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 31
Got a very fleeting glimpse of the Bittern again at Marton Mere. Also saw one of the Long-eared Owls in a different tree to usual just after dawn but it flew off deeper into the cover after a few minutes so it obviously wasn't quite settled for the day.

Guess it has to be the Bittern, even though it was only a few moments in flight.

Had a wonderful day, definitely topped by the Hawk Owl that was sitting in the top of a tree eating a newly captured vole... it was amazing to see the owl devour the vole. :)

Tried to take a picture of the owl with the phone through the (very old) scope, but I'm really not good at that. It turned out a bit dark...

Attachments

• hökuggla.jpg
    hökuggla.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 31
My bird of the day has to be the Redwings that I saw in the recreation ground near my home. I was there with a friend I'd gone out with for a walk (and was helping her follow a clue trail to locate a geocache) and saw the redwings at the end of the trail. We went off walking elsewhere then but I came back on the way home and caught them in a brief period of sunshine, managing to finally get some close photos of them - something I've been wanting to do for ages but hadn't been able to get close enough.

I also had a song thrush in my garden (rare visitor) and a HUGE flock of starlings too. Great day!

Attachments

• DSC_2749 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_2749 LR BF.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_2750 LR BF.jpg
    DSC_2750 LR BF.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 18
It as to be the Bramblings on a friends feeders, around 20 of them. If they were rare there'd be a stampede if one turned up!!!

cheers

Andy.:t:

Had a great day with Green & GS Woodies, abundant Willow Tit, Bullfinch, and Gadwall amongst the haul on a quick first-ever jaunt around Moore NR, nr Warrington, these being far trickier closer to home other than the GSW and Gadwall. Nice place, will probably go again some time and spend longer - didn't really give the place a good going over.

But what dragged me down there was something else altogether: this lot ~

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=crtjdelHCPM

Attachments

• 20090201WAXWING1.jpg
    20090201WAXWING1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20090201WAXWING2.jpg
    20090201WAXWING2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 26
  • 20090201WAXWING3.jpg
    20090201WAXWING3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 21
A really nice day yesterday with two lifers. First, saw a flock of 1000 Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch, but the bird of the day were Bohemian Waxwings, a fairly uncommon sighting in Western South Dakota. Got a great view of a mixed flock of 70, with a few Cedar Waxwings mixed in to accentuate the contrast.

i dont know who was more surprised me or the little egret that flew up out of the stream in my local patch. its farmland with a stream and woodland, and its certainly a first for me in this location , and i walk there with ,my dog most days. i also had a reed bunting visit my garden on saturday, i think he must have had previous warning of the bad weather coming.

My bird of the day was a fantastic Red Legged Partridge that flew into our field as i stood looking at a large group of blackbirds eating a pile of old apples. This is the closest i have ever been to one and was astounded by its bright colours especially when framed by a background of snow.

American Dipper diving into the River Animas in Durango Colorado where the river is almost frozen over and temperatures well below zero.

A brambling in the snow hoovering up the sunflower seeds from the feeder above. The colours of this little bird were really strong and clean against the pure white of the snow.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back