• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what was your bird of the day ? (1 Viewer)

Yesterday's bird of the day would have to be the ring-necked duck I saw dozing on the shore...I've never seen one on land before, and it didn't fly or swim off when I tried to approach it!

The snow buntings are a close second, however; I didn't even see them as I was walking along the shore but then three of them flew up off the ground and landed a short distance away! I left the shore and climbed up the small bank to the bike path and managed to get some shots.

Here are my favourite two photos from yesterday.

Larry - I'm jealous of your longspur. I haven't seen any this fall!

Attachments

• Ottawa River 653 (2).jpg
    Ottawa River 653 (2).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 123
  • Ottawa River 676 (2).jpg
    Ottawa River 676 (2).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 129
My bird of the day was a lone Lapland Longspur (Bunting) which somehow got separated from the flock of about 100 birds which flew up, up and away. .

Yesterday's bird of the day would have to be the ring-necked duck I saw dozing on the shore.
The snow buntings are a close second, however;

Nice to see this thread revived. I'd have been very happy with any of those three. Nice pics too Gillian.

My bird of the day yesterday was fieldfare; common winter visitors I know but saw several flocks and was able to get close and watch them for some time. They gorge themselves on berries, then rest in treetops, a bit like our species really, although not the tree top bit obviously.;)

Joanne

Well, Gillian, I will trade ten (10) Lapland Longspurs for one (1) Snow Bunting! The buntings are quite rare here in Missouri but the longspurs are quite regular. :t:

Also, I would gladly trade all 100 longspurs for a Fieldfare, Joanne! :t: :t:

Larry - I accept your trade, now all we have to do is figure out the logistics!!! 3:)

Snow buntings are fairly common around the agricultural fields in winter here most of the winter, while longspurs only pass through during migration. What's funny, though, is that last March (I think) I got close to them on two separate outings. Later, I was told that it takes most Ottawa birders a few years to see their first lapland longspur. I saw them my first winter birding!

Then again, since I've already seen a longspur this year I think I'd rather have one of Joanne's common fieldfares instead!

My bird of the day? A great spotted woodpecker.Sat in the office just before lunch and I thought wow thats a small magpie (we see them all the time), only to find the woodpecker perched on a small bush-its the first one I've seen at work in the 13years I've been here.

My bird of the day, has to be a Marsh harrier at Minsmere one day last week. Attached is three photos I had taken, however not that good, still, a great experience of my first ever sighting of this Raptor.

ROD.

Attachments

• Hemsby 279_edited-copy.jpg
    Hemsby 279_edited-copy.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Hemsby 306_edited-copy.jpg
    Hemsby 306_edited-copy.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Hemsby 336_edited-copy.jpg
    Hemsby 336_edited-copy.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 91
Two contenders today, Whooper Swan on Taylor Park lake, St Helens, and a flock of 48 Tree Sparrows in Moss Lane (Liverpool St Helens RU club).

Hi Rod,

No such luck. I had to travel to the Cotswold Water Park for the Hen Harrier and nearby Harnhill for the Sparrows

Thanks Darren for your reply. I had heard about the Hen Harrier at CWP, hope it's still around there next Tuesday, my wife & I are visiting that day. I have never seen a Tree Sparrow, so may take in Harnhill.

ROD.

Rod,

The Tree Sparrows are easy, it only took me 5 mins. Stop at the telephone box just inside the village of Harnhill and wander through the gate into the field. I could hear them in the bushes along the edge of the field. Then wait and eventually they appear.

The Harrier seems pretty settled around pit 74 so hopefully will winter

Yesterday a common potoo, today, so far, a white-headed marsh-tyrant.

None are rare birds, but very nice to see them nearly in front of your new home :)

Well on Saturday we went to Cley and there were loads of stonechats showing well - got some nice piccies which I will post soon, but the bird of the day has to be the little auk which landed on the sea really close in to shore. I think it was a lifer for me! :)

Bird of the day yesterday was the Waxwing which was discovered in the car park at Titchwell just as I was about to head home after three days birding in Norfolk. A three hour morning seawatch from Titchwell beach had already produced Pomarine and Arctic Skuas, Little Auk, Grey Phalarope, Purple Sandpiper and Snow Bunting amongst others, however the Waxwing was totally unexpected and definitely the icing on the cake - especially at 26x magnification and from a distance of less than 20 feet!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back