• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what was your bird of the day ? (2 Viewers)

A pair of immature Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers were my best find this week. Last week was the flock of Yellow Rumped Wablers who are still giving me a great thrill.

My bird of the day was a lone Lapland Longspur (Bunting) which somehow got separated from the flock of about 100 birds which flew up, up and away. I was able to watch it in a disced crop field for about ten minutes. I was about 25 feet away from it and it tried to hide behind some corn stubble in the field at first. Later it began moving about and feeding. I was able to see it quite well for those extended minutes.

The Longspurs are fast and it is hard to get a good look--You lucky dog You!

Pine Siskin

I was able to see two of them today at friends' bird feeders in Amazonia, Missouri.

Last year I missed them altogether, so I am glad I was able to see these this year!

On a trip back home to the Laurel Highlands of Pennslvania today, we had the good fortune to watch a young Golden Eagle in passage above the Allegheny Front.

Last edited:
My "bird of the day" today was a Northern Shrike (you call them Great Grey Shrike on your side of the pond). It is a good find here in Missouri!

My "bird of the day" (seen November 10th) is Red Crossbill. A friend and I saw a flock of about fifteen birds in a pine grove at Thousand Hills State Park, Kirksville, Missouri. The flock flew in high in the pine trees and just as we were about to get some good looks a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew in and all the crossbills flew off. They did not returned while we were there, so we birded some other nearby areas.

Two contenders today - a Goldcrest in the garden, which is a first for the garden, then went for a walk at Bolton Abbey, and watched Nuthatches feeding on some seed we'd taken with us.

My bird of the day has been a stunning Red-breasted Nuthatch which has been gracing my feeders all day long. I hope he stays around as we dont get them very often where I live. Reminds me of the one at Holkham in 898-P There has been a big influx of Northern species due to the failure of the pine crops in Southern Canada. I'm keeping a good look out for Pine and Evening Grosbeaks next! B :)

My bird of the day has been a green woodpecker, watched for 10 mins. from a hide at Potteric Carr. A young lad of about 6 saw it too - I told him he was very lucky as I must have been nearly 50 before I saw my first one!!

Sandra

Bird of the day, and then some!!!!!

Had just spent a beautiful day with my wife at Titchwell, lots to see, and lovely people to talk to. We decided to drive to Wells in order to get a meal. About 3miles before Wells, i noticed a small bird that appeared to be in distress by the roadside. I said to my wife " that looked like a Little Auk " , bear in mind it was pitchdark and we were doing about 45mph.
I turned around and drove back, sure enough at the top of track leading off the road was a very bedraggled and tired Little Auk. My wife managed to put a blanket over it and then cradled it on her lap.
I looked at my watch it was 4.22pm. As we live 40 odd miles inland the only thing i could think of was to drive back to Titchwell, which closes at 4.30!.
Drove into the carpark just as staff were leaving, young Ben knew what to do , he took the bird home and hopefully will release it in the morning.
It is quite a common occurence ( second bird Ben had dealt with that day!!)
apparently they think the road is water.
For my wife and i, not only did we see a Little Auk, we held one, were thoroughly bitten by it as well , bloody marvellous.
Lets hope the little fella is ok, and safely released in the morning.

My bird of the day was Red Crossbill seen at Wallace State Park, Cameron, Missouri. I got much more satisfying looks today than those I had November 10 at Thousand Hills State Park, Kirksville, Missouri. I was able to watch them perched and also feeding on the pine cones.

My bird of the day was the Common Redpoll. Actually, it was my bird of the day yesterday as well, when I saw one for the very first time, and then today I got better photos of them! (See my year photo list!). It's also my first winter finch of the irruption this year. Like Outboard, I'm waiting to see Pine and Evening Grosbeaks next! (Larry's Red Crossbills wouldn't come amiss, either!)

Gillian, I sure wish I could get one of those Bohemian Waxwings. Not only would it be a year bird for my Missouri List, but it would be a "lifer". I have been on birding trips up to Minnesota a couple of times, but have always managed to miss this bird.

I still have not seem any redpolls, Snow Buntings, Evening Grosbeaks here in Missouri this year, but an EVGR was reported down in Kansas City last week. I am hoping that it reappears and that I can get to see it.

Larry - they seem to be on their way. There was a report on Ontbirds today of a flock of about 500 Bohemians in a yard in Kanata (which is part of the amalgamated Ottawa, and the part where I live, actually). I saw two a few weeks ago but haven't seen them since.

Redpolls like weedy fields (I know now!). Yesterday at lunch I went out to the largest, weediest field I knew of in the downtown area and sure enough I found some! Hopefully they will make it down to your area, too.

I saw snow buntings along the Ottawa river twice two weeks ago, and then we saw a large flock in an agricultural field on Sunday.

So keep watching - the birds are moving!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back