- Actitis hypoleucos
18-20cm. Medium to small wader
- Greyish-brown upperparts and breast
- Obvious white gap between carpals and breast
- White underparts
- Yellow legs
- Pale-based, dark tipped bill
- White eye-ring
- Barred upperparts
- Buff-edged wing feathers
A wide variety of aquatic habitats, including shores of freshwater bodies, estuaries and salt-marshes.
Easily told by its bobbing habit as it walks along the shore. Found around freshwater bodies also breeds close to water in both habitats.
The diet includes insects and crustaceans.
Quite a vocal bird. A high-pitched pee-pee-pee in flight.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2015. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2015, with updates to August 2015. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Collins Bird Guide ISBN 0 00 219728
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Common Sandpiper. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 24 September 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Common_Sandpiper
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.1