• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

What's wrong with Win11? (1 Viewer)

When I set up my new Windows 11 pc, I started saving documents only to OneDrive, but not photos. As a result I've got loads of storage space left in OneDrive, I'm only using 3% of my free 1TB space even though I've hundreds of documents. I get 1TB of space free as part of Microsoft 365 which I pay for annually as it covers both of my laptops and son and husband's laptops as well. It's photo files that take up a lot of space so I back them up onto 2 external plug and play hard drives. I also back my documents up onto the external hard drives.

When I set up my new Windows 11 pc, I started saving documents only to OneDrive, but not photos. As a result I've got loads of storage space left in OneDrive, I'm only using 3% of my free 1TB space even though I've hundreds of documents. I get 1TB of space free as part of Microsoft 365 which I pay for annually as it covers both of my laptops and son and husband's laptops as well. It's photo files that take up a lot of space so I back them up onto 2 external plug and play hard drives. I also back my documents up onto the external hard drives.
Remember that is 1TB per user and the license is for 5 users. You could set up a user (or two) and solely use those for your photos (as well as the hard drive backup that is!)

Remember when you could choose Save As... and the folder the file came from would come up, you could press return and you were done? That was "improved" in W10 (or earlier?) by adding a "Save As" window that includes "Browse", "This PC" and Microsoft cloud services (that I turned off) that requires you to navigate back to the folder the file came from and then press return...a lot of stupid extra steps of no value and that were already accessible if needed.

There's also the useless "Welcome back" feature that comes up in Word that prevents you from immediately typing like you used to....and, you can't turn it off.

I could go on...
This forum stimulated me to finally solve this time-wasting problem that microsoft threw in my path. Here's the solution:

It turns out that the useless window that hinders you with "this PC" and "browse" when you "Save As..." is called the "backstage" for mysterious reasons. It you choose Options > Save > "Don't show the backstage..." and then use a control-key rather than the menu to "Save As...", the evil backstage does not appear and you are taken straight to the folder you actually wanted...just like the good-old days before Office was rendered user hostile. In my case I also set "Save As...:" to control-shift-S instead of F12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back