• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Fieldscope ED82 vs new KOWAs (2 Viewers)

No problem. I have had a little more time with the MC eyepieces and I'm a bit less impressed. I actually like the WDS view much more than the zoom or the MC. If the WDS eyepieces had eye relief, I probably wouldn't use anything else. Honestly the eyepieces are the only reason I'm not in love with the Fieldscope III.
What exactly do you mean by "WDS" eyepieces? And in case you mean the DS eyepieces, what do you mean by "If the WDS had eye relief ..."? ALL eyepieces have eye relief, right? Do you mean eye cups?
Don't get me wrong, the views can be great but the modern zoom eyepieces on high end scopes are great.
Undeniably true.

Hermann

What exactly do you mean by "WDS" eyepieces?
WDS= Wide digiscope. Just trying to save ink ;)

And in case you mean the DS eyepieces, what do you mean by "If the WDS had eye relief ..."? ALL eyepieces have eye relief, right? Do you mean eye cups?

Undeniably true.

Hermann
Yes I mean adjustable eyecups. They have eyecups that are sort of 'adjustable' it the most rudimentary sense, but it's far from ideal. I always assumed they were made primarily for digicscoping. But, the rubber cup is better than nothing.

WDS= Wide digiscope. Just trying to save ink ;)
Why not call them just "DS eyepieces" like everyone else, including Nikon?
Yes I mean adjustable eyecups. They have eyecups that are sort of 'adjustable' it the most rudimentary sense, but it's far from ideal. I always assumed they were made primarily for digicscoping.
DS = digiscoping. Nikon made camera adapters for these eyepieces. But the DS eyepieces also work exceedingly well for visual use, and especially well for eyeglass wearers.
But, the rubber cup is better than nothing.
Make your own from bicycle inner tube. Or find someone to make you some on a 3-D printer.

Hermann

Why not call them just "DS eyepieces" like everyone else,
For you Hermann, I might consider it. But if you are actually asking and not just using rhetoric:

Three reasons:
1. That was how they were labeled on the listing, and a lot of the Japanese sellers still list them this way or as 'Wide DS', probably because that's what's written on the box.
2. 'WDS' is printed engraved laser etched on the lens eyepiece housing (or whatever it's called).
3. I obviously don't know any better.

including Nikon?
Well, if we're going there, they refer to them as both Wide DS and DS.

DS = digiscoping. Nikon made camera adapters for these eyepieces. But the DS eyepieces also work exceedingly well for visual use, and especially well for eyeglass wearers.
They work well for some eyeglasses wearers. I've ranted about this elsewhere, but it completely depends how close they sit to your eyes. So, for me, it's ok not 'especially well' with glasses and likely not as usable as it sounds like it is for you.

Make your own from bicycle inner tube. Or find someone to make you some on a 3-D printer.

It does sound like an interesting relatively easy project, maybe one day.

Steve

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back