• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

June Moths (4 Viewers)

I'm rather envious of others round here getting three figure catches every night, as my garden is only producing 25-30 moths each night. Best this morning was a Sycamore, my first for seven years.
Hardly any micros. I have not had a Light Brown Apple Moth since May 18th which is very odd, but not something I am worried about.

Past week has been crazy for me. 38 lifers, 76 NFY, 1 new possible state record.
I almost didn't wake up when my timer went off last night. Got out there, and the sheets were relatively empty. Then I got to the end of the sheet and this amazing moth (Luna Moth) was on the end (pic is from later this morning after I tried to get it off the sheets and warmed up to not become bird bait).
original.jpg

Virginia Creeper Sphinx was a lifer.

original.jpg

Hebrew Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

Arge Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

Formosa Looper Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

Grape Flower Plume Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

Robinson's Pelochrista Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

That's some haul! Weird how every now and then you can get a mad crazy catch with a whole load of new species. Doesn't happen often (and for me never as spectacular as that) but when it does it's like Christmas!!

Past week has been crazy for me. 38 lifers, 76 NFY, 1 new possible state record.
I almost didn't wake up when my timer went off last night. Got out there, and the sheets were relatively empty. Then I got to the end of the sheet and this amazing moth (Luna Moth) was on the end (pic is from later this morning after I tried to get it off the sheets and warmed up to not become bird bait).
original.jpg

Virginia Creeper Sphinx was a lifer.

original.jpg

Hebrew Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

Arge Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

Formosa Looper Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

Grape Flower Plume Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

Robinson's Pelochrista Moth (lifer)
original.jpg

Some tremendous Moths there chipper!…Luna Moth being “just a bit” special.👍

Just 4 moths last night/am- nowt in pot/wall or under parasol however…one in the shrubs and three on the parasol top!
Brimstone, LYU, Common Footman and if someone can confirm that this is a “pale” Heart and Dart as the alternative would be….😮

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2609.jpeg
    IMG_2609.jpeg
    522.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2608.jpeg
    IMG_2608.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 6
I was pleased to be shown my first Red-tipped Clearwing attracted to a lure at the LNR at Ruislip Woods on a wildlife walk today. Very smart moth.
Only clearwing I've ever seen was a Large Red-belted (that was without lure though). I'll have to purchase a lure or two before next summer.

This morning's trap was full of Common Footmen, Bee Moths, Riband Waves and Heart and Darts. The odd other moth, but nothing really notable. Favourite was the commonplace Elderberry Pearl

Attachments

• IMG_20240629_083611_MP~2.jpg
    IMG_20240629_083611_MP~2.jpg
    913.2 KB · Views: 1
Rain kept me from putting out my UV lights last night, so just porch lights. But luckily I had to wake up at 2:30, and popped my head out while it was sprinking and saw this big boy on the sheet. A quick few seconds with the camera outside and lifer Hermit Sphinx.
original.jpg

Just clearing away the dinner plates into the kitchen from the garden patio, when there was a sharp outburst from my wife outside…I rushed out to see this “Big, I know not what!”….from the missus?
Was in total disbelief…as it was a lifer no less!
Was I a happy bunny…and that was after a drink!🤣
Just to add, it was back in the pot this morning along with 2 Brimstone, 2 Riband Wave and a TBSpot.👍

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpeg
    IMG_2634.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2641.jpeg
    IMG_2641.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2644.jpeg
    IMG_2644.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Just clearing away the dinner plates into the kitchen from the garden patio, when there was a sharp outburst from my wife outside…I rushed out to see this “Big, I know not what!”….from the missus?
Was in total disbelief…as it was a lifer no less!
Was I a happy bunny…and that was after a drink!🤣
I imagine it was just before several more.... congratulations Ken!

John

Late decision to put the trap out at 11pm last night. Good decision with four NFY: first two Elephant Hawk-moths of the year, Double Lobed, Dwarf Cream Wave and Toadflax Brocade that gave me my usual headache trying to identify it! Numbers were dominated by 20 Heart and Dart plus 17 Chrysoteuchia culmella and four Heart and Club, with otherwise only Eudonia lacustrata and Celypha striana reaching a dizzying two of each. Marbled Minor, Sycamore, Uncertain and Riband Wave one each.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back