• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

At long last, AOU 2010 pending proposals A (3 Viewers)

Besides Sierra Chickadee isn't very accurate, since they just don't occur in the Sierra's.

As a weak and belated step toward redemption, I recently found that the "Bailey's" chickadee does indeed include the Sierra Nevada subspecies. From the AOU Proposal:

Bailey’s Chickadee (Poecile baileyae) – includes the coastal California, Sierra Nevada, and Cascade populations....

Indeed, I think a web-based approach such as the SACC uses, with yearly summaries of actions to date in the July issue of the Auk would be a perfect fusion of the two systems.

Regarding common names in the event of a moorhen split, I would hope that American Moorhen would at least be on the table. It seems more obvious than Laughing Moorhen to me, & avoids having a different group name for the widespread Gallinula of the Americas (& since we don't call it a 'Purple Porphyre', I don't go for the argument that we must use 'Gallinule' for the moorhen in order to match the genus name).

I agree with this. Keep Moorhen in the name:t:

I agree with this. Keep Moorhen in the name:t:

The arguments for the split are in the proposal (http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html)

The English name "Moorhen" has long been used on the British side of the pond for Gallinula chloropus while, for decades (until the mid 70s), G. chloropus was known as Common Gallinule in North America. Since the word "moor" is not in wide use in North America (I certainly don't know where one would find a moor in Florida, where G. chloropus is abundant), the name moorhen is not very popular among many birders/ornithologists. Other Gallinula species already have English names other than "moorhen" (e.g., Nativehen, Woodhen) and G. melanops has long been known as Spot-flanked Gallinule (and never Spot-flanked Moorhen?).

It is not a great problem having species in the same genus having different English names (Calidiris anyone?) or having English names within one genus (again Calidiris, with "sandpiper") used in other genera.

Andy

Last edited:
The arguments for the split are in the proposal (http://listserv.admin.usf.edu/archives/brdbrain.html)

The English name "Moorhen" has long been used on the British side of the pond for Gallinula chloropus while, for decades (until the mid 70s), G. chloropus was known as Common Gallinule in North America. Since the word "moor" is not in wide use in North America (I certainly don't know where one would find a moor in Florida, where G. chloropus is abundant), the name moorhen is not very popular among many birders/ornithologists. Other Gallinula species already have English names other than "moorhen" (e.g., Nativehen, Woodhen) and G. melanops has long been known as Spot-flanked Gallinule (and never Spot-flanked Moorhen?).

It is not a great problem having species in the same genus having different English names (Calidiris anyone?) or having English names within one genus (again Calidiris, with "sandpiper") used in other genera.

Andy

Moor as in Moorhen means a flooded area, or may be a corruption of mere, a lake that is broader than it is deep, ie perfect Moorhen habitat. There is no association of Moorhen and open upland areas devoid of trees or the inhabitants of north Africa!

I am quite happy for the American species to revert to Common Gallinule, distinguishing it from Purple Gallinule and Azure Gallinule. Perhaps then we can hope that the use of the name gallinule will no longer be used for the various Swamphen species.

Ian

Moor as in Moorhen means a flooded area, or may be a corruption of mere, a lake that is broader than it is deep, ie perfect Moorhen habitat. There is no association of Moorhen and open upland areas devoid of trees or the inhabitants of north Africa!

But a very misleading name in modern English on both sides of the pond, but that’s fine with me & I think I’ll sit this one out. "Gallinule’s" the old established American name so has my approval on those grounds, but “Moorhen’s” prettier.

But a very misleading name in modern English on both sides of the pond, but that’s fine with me & I think I’ll sit this one out. "Gallinule’s" the old established American name so has my approval on those grounds, but “Moorhen’s” prettier.
haha very true.:t:

Thanks for the explanations kratter

http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/2675

More information regarding the the Mountain Chickadee split

As usual, an excellent analysis by Nathan Pieplow. After checking out the chickadee vocalizations, it might be worthwhile to also go through his analysis of Curve-billed Thrasher - for those interested in vocalizations and recent AOU split candidates at large.

Or just go through his entire blog - this guy really does a good job.

Strongly resisting the urge to throw my mouse through the window, as it's been malfunctioning and acting jerky, which resulted in me closing this window and losing all the below I just typed

Anyway:

The votes are in (although not linked yet directly on the webpage)

http://www.aou.org/committees/nacc/proposals/2010_A_votes_web.php

Of interest to me:

Snowy Plover split from Kentish: PASSED

Mountain Chickadee split: FAILED (I agree with the responses for this one...I just don't think the research is there yet to support this split)

Yellow-rumped Warbler split: FAILED (By a lot, much of which was the result of wishing to wait for some of the results to be published)

Recognition of Tityridae: PASSED

Endorsement of common name change to Spectacled Thrush: PASSED

Chlorospingus (Bush-Tanagers) transferred to Emberizidae: PASSED

Chaetura meridionalis split recognized: PASSED

Common name changes for Troglodytes complex: FAILED (pretty much for reasons I predicted)

Common Moorhen Split: PASSED (unanimously; still not clear which common name will be used, although it looks like Common Gallinule will probably win out)

Sapayoidae recognition: PASSED

I don't think ABA listers are going to be too happy with this checklist update (based on the results here and in the next proposal votes.

Last edited:
So an ABA lister gets no lifers with the 2010 checklist update, but loses the beloved genus Dendroica. Birders will be rioting in the street! :)

So an ABA lister gets no lifers with the 2010 checklist update, but loses the beloved genus Dendroica. Birders will be rioting in the street! :)

According to the comments, 1 or 2 birders might get common moorhen as a vagrant ;)

Interesting, that one of the voters argued for American Moorhen instead of Common Gallinule 8-P

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back