• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC Proposals 2024 (1 Viewer)

I also am skeptical about the proposal passing, but then proposals I have thought were slam dunks failed, and proposals I thought were long shots passed, so my ability to predict how the committee will go obviously is not great :p

The NACC is seeking suggestions for English names for splits that are likely to pass this year:

1) Split of Rufous-naped Wren Campylorhynchus rufinucha into three species:
C. capistratus: Veracruz Wren seems pretty set
C. rufinucha: Rufous-backed Wren pretty set
C. humilis: suggestions so far, but neither is particularly well liked : Russet-naped Wren or West Mexican Wren. Evocative, creative, or just better suggestions welcome.

Andy

The NACC is seeking suggestions for English names for splits that are likely to pass this year:

C. humilis: suggestions so far, but neither is particularly well liked : Russet-naped Wren or West Mexican Wren. Evocative, creative, or just better suggestions welcome.

Andy
Spot-backed Wren? Don't love it, but it is a distinction between this and the other two forms.

Andy
First off, thanks for not including Rufous-naped for any of the daughter species.
Regarding humilis, I do not have experience, but the image in Howell and Webb makes Rufous-crowned an option -- is seems to have rufous more limited to crown (and admittedly, rear upper neck) than other, locally occurring wrens.
Niels

Andy
Am I mistaken, or is this from a batch of proposals that isn't even released yet to the general public?

Andy
Well the IOC does already have a name for humilis, Scater's Wren, but I guess that is off the table... ;)

I would suggest Rufous-necked Wren. It retains a connection to the former name, and also to the Rufous-backed Wren. In comparison to rufinucha, it appears that the rufous area is a bit more extensive, covering more of the neck, but it is not as extensive as in the Rufous-backed Wren.

Jim

I think this is a case where maintaining a link to the original or a novel name that provides some context is desirable in order to aid people in associating the name with the correct bird as wren names are kind of a soup of descriptors already. Spot-backed is apt but perhaps doesn’t help link back to Rufous-naped or the range. Re: Rufous-crowned - when seen from the front the rufous is not so visible so perhaps misleading.

Shy of better suggestions something like Rufous-necked or Russet-naped works pretty well, as does West Mexican depending on preference.

Well the IOC does already have a name for humilis, Scater's Wren, but I guess that is off the table... ;)

I would suggest Rufous-necked Wren. It retains a connection to the former name, and also to the Rufous-backed Wren. In comparison to rufinucha, it appears that the rufous area is a bit more extensive, covering more of the neck, but it is not as extensive as in the Rufous-backed Wren.

Jim
Should be Sclater.

Humble Wren Campylorhynchus humilis (direct translation of the specific epithet) (cf. Happy Wren Pheugopedius/Thryothorus felix, and I think there is a Joyful Wren somewhere, but I cannot find the reference).

Thanks so far. Here's another one. We are likely to split the House Wren into many species. Most have settled English names, but the
martinicensis group, comprised of guadeloupensis (Guadeloupe, extinct), rufescens (Dominica), and martinicensis (Martinique, likely extinct), will be grouped as T. martinicensis. There does not appear to be a geographical term for this three-island set. The Committee is leaning toward Cinnamon Wren, with Rufescent Wren also suggested. Any other ideas?

First just want to say that I think it’s really great that names are being circulated and feedback sought!

For the wren, given that one form is already extinct and another presumed, a pragmatic answer would just be Dominica Wren, no?

If it is rediscovered on Martinique it will be just be another mild oddity that Dominica Wren also occurs on Martinique. If it were to be split further names wouldn’t need altering.

From the proposed pair, Cinnamon Wren is catchier and likely easier to remember.

Thanks so far. Here's another one. We are likely to split the House Wren into many species. Most have settled English names, but the
martinicensis group, comprised of guadeloupensis (Guadeloupe, extinct), rufescens (Dominica), and martinicensis (Martinique, likely extinct), will be grouped as T. martinicensis. There does not appear to be a geographical term for this three-island set. The Committee is leaning toward Cinnamon Wren, with Rufescent Wren also suggested. Any other ideas?
I would like to see the arguments for keeping these together, but that is an aside. For this group, I agree that I cannot come up with a simple geographical name that fits (and I did live in Dominica for 15 years, so have some local knowledge). I could support the notion by pbjosh of using Dominica Wren, because cinnamon might be an obvious choice for some other wren splitting in the future. Apart from that, I would consider the bird in Dominica as dark for the word cinnamon, so maybe rufescent would be a better name?

Niels

Andy
I'm not a fan of color-body-part type-of-bird because they're hard to keep track of, especially in the wider realm of Latin American birds. I think West Mexican Wren works well for that.

I am not thrilled with Cinnamon, or Rufescent. The color terms don't seem to apply as well to martinicensis, and while this group may tend to be brighter than some others in the aedon complex (but not grenadensis?), it does not seem to be that bright compared to some other wrens. I am also always wary when systematists want to just translate a specific epithet into English and leave it at that. It does, admittedly, seem to be a tough one to come up with a great name for, especially without knowing what is happening with the other taxa. Maybe East Caribbean Wren? Yes, there are other forms in the eastern Caribbean, but they may be getting more specific names that would easily separate them?

I would like to see the arguments for keeping these together, but that is an aside. For this group, I agree that I cannot come up with a simple geographical name that fits (and I did live in Dominica for 15 years, so have some local knowledge). I could support the notion by pbjosh of using Dominica Wren, because cinnamon might be an obvious choice for some other wren splitting in the future. Apart from that, I would consider the bird in Dominica as dark for the word cinnamon, so maybe rufescent would be a better name?

Niels
From photos it looks darker than I would call rufescent. Maybe "Chocolate Wren"?

I am not thrilled with Cinnamon, or Rufescent. The color terms don't seem to apply as well to martinicensis, and while this group may tend to be brighter than some others in the aedon complex (but not grenadensis?), it does not seem to be that bright compared to some other wrens. I am also always wary when systematists want to just translate a specific epithet into English and leave it at that. It does, admittedly, seem to be a tough one to come up with a great name for, especially without knowing what is happening with the other taxa. Maybe East Caribbean Wren? Yes, there are other forms in the eastern Caribbean, but they may be getting more specific names that would easily separate them?
Both East Caribbean and Lesser Antillean would to my mind indicate inclusion of Grenada and St. Vincent wrens, which was not indicated by Kratter.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back