• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC Proposals 2024 (1 Viewer)

gusasp

2024 Proposals

Proposals 2024-A

2024-A-1: Reconsider the generic placements of Haplospiza rustica and Acanthidops bairdi

2024-A-2a: Make changes to our classification of the herons (Ardeidae): Modify the linear sequence and existing taxonomic structure within the family

2024-A-2b: Make changes to our classification of the herons (Ardeidae): Transfer Ixobrychus exilis (Least Bittern) to Botaurus, and transfer Bubulcus ibis (Cattle Egret) to Ardea

2024-A-2c: Make changes to our classification of the herons (Ardeidae): Remove the hyphen from the group name Night-Heron

2024-A-3a: Revise the subfamily and genus-level classification of the Charadriidae: Transfer Charadrius morinellus to Eudromias

2024-A-3b: Revise the subfamily and genus-level classification of the Charadriidae: Transfer Charadrius dubius to Thinornis

2024-A-3c: Revise the subfamily and genus-level classification of the Charadriidae: Transfer Charadrius mongolus, leschenaultii, and veredus to Eupoda, and wilsonia, collaris, montanus, and nivosus to Ochthodromus

2024-A-3d: Revise the subfamily and genus-level classification of the Charadriidae: Transfer Charadrius mongolus, leschenaultii, veredus, wilsonia, collaris, montanus, and nivosus to Anarhynchus

2024-A-3e: Revise the subfamily and genus-level classification of the Charadriidae: Adopt the new linear sequence

2024-A-3f: Revise the subfamily and genus-level classification of the Charadriidae: Recognize the subfamily Pluvialinae for the species in Pluvialis

2024-A-3g: Revise the subfamily and genus-level classification of the Charadriidae: Transfer Vanellus to the subfamily Charadriinae

2024-A-3h: Revise the subfamily and genus-level classification of the Charadriidae: Recognize the subfamily Anarhynchinae for the species in Anarhynchus

2024-A-4: Recognize extralimital Puffinus bailloni, P. bannermani, and P. persicus as species distinct from Audubon’s Shearwater P. lherminieri

2024-A-5: Treat extralimital Puffinus boydi as a separate species from Audubon’s Shearwater P. lherminieri

2024-A-6: Treat Cory’s Shearwater as two species, Calonectris diomedea and C. borealis

2024-A-7: Treat Jamaican Petrel Pterodroma caribbaea as a separate species from Black-capped Petrel P. hasitata

2024-A-8: Treat Coccyzus bahamensis as a separate species from Great Lizard-Cuckoo C. merlini

2024-A-9: Treat Piaya mexicana and P. “circe” as separate species from Squirrel Cuckoo P. cayana

2024-A-10: Treat Stelgidopteryx ridgwayi as a separate species from Northern Rough-winged Swallow S. serripennis

2024-A-11: Treat Larus smithsonianus and L. vegae as separate species from Herring Gull L. argentatus

2024-A-12: Transfer Coccothraustes abeillei and C. vespertinus to Hesperiphona

Proposals 2024-B

2024-B-1: Change Japanese Bush-Warbler to Japanese Bush Warbler

2024-B-2: Treat Sula brewsteri as a separate species from Brown Booby S. leucogaster

2024-B-3: Treat Common Redpoll Acanthis flammea and Hoary Redpoll A. hornemanni as a single species

2024-B-4: Treat Anas crecca as two species: Green-winged Teal A. carolinensis and Common (or Eurasian) Teal A. crecca

2024-B-5: Treat Colaptes mexicanoides as a separate species from Northern Flicker C. auratus

2024-B-6: Treat Buteo elegans as a separate species from Red-shouldered Hawk B. lineatus

2024-B-7: Reconsider the generic treatment of Calocitta, Psilorhinus, and Cyanocorax

2024-B-8: Treat Isthmian Wren Cantorchilus elutus as a subspecies of Cabanis’s Wren C. modestus

2024-B-9: Treat Intermediate Egret Ardea (or Casmerodius) intermedia as two or three species

2024-B-10: Treat Cattle Egret Bubulcus (or Ardea) ibis as two species

2024-B-11: Adjust the placement of the monotypic genus Ectopistes (Columbidae) in the linear sequence

2024-B-12: Transfer Burhinus bistriatus (Double-striped Thick-knee) to new genus Hesperoburhinus

2024-B-13: Revise the taxonomy of the Sharp-shinned Hawk complex: Split mainland Accipiter veloxfrom Caribbean A. striatus

It's odd that the redpoll proposal recommends lumping the Common and Hoary Redpolls but not the Lesser Redpoll, especially since the Lesser Redpoll has been on the AOS checklist ever since Greenland was added to the AOS area. An oversight?

Was wondering if we would even get any proposals this year honestly, with all the AOS classification turmoil
Looks like a lot of WGAC related proposals. And yes, I assume the proposal author forgot about Lesser Redpoll, although I have yet to read the list.

It's a bit weirdly worded I think, I suppose Lesser Redpoll will also be lumped, at least thats how I read this:
There are currently three subspecies of A. flammea, one of A. cabaret, and two of A. hornemanni. We suggest recognizing each of these subspecies (or species in the case of A. cabaret) as subspecies of a single species of redpoll.

I (right or wrong) have for some time taken the Redpoll case as a poster child for why the NACC is viewed as out of touch by a lot of people. While I personally have felt that this lump is inevitable and overdue, I am not trying to attack NACC, but rather comment that this case is one of the cases that frequently gets commented on and where people feel like NACC is too conservative and/or decisions are too influenced by personal biases rather than consistent application of the supposed standards.

In any case, here's hoping that a few of these - like the Herring Gull split, the Guatemalan Flicker split, and the Redpoll lump, will go through. If not, I wonder if NACC might lose more than its mandate for english names at some point? As problematic as NACC's conservatism is viewed to be by many, there's also a lot of value and knowledge there and it would be a shame for it to disappear.

I (right or wrong) have for some time taken the Redpoll case as a poster child for why the NACC is viewed as out of touch by a lot of people. While I personally have felt that this lump is inevitable and overdue, I am not trying to attack NACC, but rather comment that this case is one of the cases that frequently gets commented on and where people feel like NACC is too conservative and/or decisions are too influenced by personal biases rather than consistent application of the supposed standards.

In any case, here's hoping that a few of these - like the Herring Gull split, the Guatemalan Flicker split, and the Redpoll lump, will go through. If not, I wonder if NACC might lose more than its mandate for english names at some point? As problematic as NACC's conservatism is viewed to be by many, there's also a lot of value and knowledge there and it would be a shame for it to disappear.
It will be curious when we finally see the WGAC list what differences will exist between it and the AOS list...

2024 Proposals

Proposals 2024-A

2024-A-1: 2024-A-3g: Revise the subfamily and genus-level classification of the Charadriidae: Transfer Vanellus to the subfamily Charadriinae
😲
I found this surprising until I read the interesting and useful discussion.
The division of Charadriidae into the 'Tundra Plovers' Pluvialinae, and 'True Plovers' Charadriinae is a tidy solution but side-steps the future possibility of after a more thorough phylogenetic study, having to incorporate the oystercatchers and stilts etc. too.

I found this amusing, a phylogenetic study leading to removal of a hyphen. I do actually like their naming convention. Seems the NACC committee still retains the naming rights.
Recommendation:
Significantly, in none of the trees did the sampled species of night heron form a monophyletic group. Therefore, I recommend that we remove the hyphen from the group name “Night-Heron”.

I mean we're kind of stirring the pot here but I have to agree. IOC's ability to just decide things and move along - particularly on simple naming issues like hyphens, spelling corrections, etc, without a proposal process seems a lot more sensical given the limited time the folks involved have for these things.

It's odd that the redpoll proposal recommends lumping the Common and Hoary Redpolls but not the Lesser Redpoll, especially since the Lesser Redpoll has been on the AOS checklist ever since Greenland was added to the AOS area. An oversight?
Greenland was not included in the seventh edition (the current edition) of the AOS checklist, per the website

Greenland was not included in the seventh edition (the current edition) of the AOS checklist, per the website
Greenland is included in the checklist area since the 58th supplement in 2017:

Last edited:
If the Red-shouldered Hawk split goes through, what would the common names be? They'd better not keep Red-shouldered Hawk for the eastern taxon.

I'd quite like something like Elegant Hawk in the west and Floodplain Hawk in the east.

If the Red-shouldered Hawk split goes through, what would the common names be? They'd better not keep Red-shouldered Hawk for the eastern taxon.

I'd quite like something like Elegant Hawk in the west and Floodplain Hawk in the east.
Or keep Red-shouldered for the east and create something like Red-winged Hawk for California?

Red-bellied has some precedent for W birds I believe.

But I don’t think that proposal has much chance of passing …

"Red-bellied" is suggested in the proposal, citing uses by Cassin 1855 (in the OD), Dixon 1928, Hellmayr & Conover 1949. (With "California" offered as a possible alternative.)
"Red-bellied" was also the name used for Buteo lineatus elegans (already treated as a ssp) in the early editions of the AOU check-list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back