- Laterallus melanophaius
- Brown upperparts with rufous sides of its head, neck, breast, and upper flanks.
- White throat, breast and belly.
- Flanks are barred black and white.
Formerly considered conspecific with White-throated Crake Laterallus albigularis.
- L. m. oenops - Tropical se Colombia to e Peru and extreme w Brazil
- L. m. melanophaius - S Venezuela to the Guianas, Brazil, Bolivia and n Argentina
They eat insects, other invertebrates, and occasionally seeds. Not much is known about its life history because of its secretive nature.
Recording by Andrew Whitehouse
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.1