- Zapornia parva
- Short straight yellow bill with a red base
- Green legs with long toes
- Short tail is barred black, white underneath
- Mainly brown upperparts
- Slate-grey face and underparts
- Whitish throat
- Buff underparts
- Grey only on the face
Immatures are similar to the female but have a white face and breast
The downy chicks are black, as with all rails
Most active at dawn and dusk
The 4-7 eggs are laid in nests built in reeds.
Diet includes insects and aquatic animals.
They probe with their bill in mud or shallow water, also picking up food by sight.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Collins Field Guide 5th edition
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Little Crake. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 7 December 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Little_Crake
Search the Gallery using the scientific name:
Search the Gallery using the common name:
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.