- Spatula cyanoptera
35–48 cm (13¾-19 in); a small dabbling duck
- Cinnamon-red head and body
- Brown back
- Red eye
- Dark bill
- Mottled brown body
- Pale brown head
- Brown eyes
- Grey bill
Female very similar to female Blue-winged Teal
Occurs as vagrants in the Caribbean.
Formerly placed in the genus Anas.
There are 5 subspecies1:
- S. c. septentrionalium: (Northern Cinnamon Teal)
- S. c. tropica: (Tropical Cinnamon Teal)
- Cauca and Magdalena valleys of Colombia
- S. c. borreroi: (Borrero's Cinnamon Teal); possibly extinct
- Eastern Andes of Colombia
- S. c. orinoma: Andean Cinnamon Teal
- S. c. cyanoptera: Argentine Cinnamon Teal
They use both fresh water and brackish marshes and ponds with plenty of emergent plants and vegetation around the edges, like cattails and bulrushes.
Generally select new mates each year.
Dabbling ducks, the most important part of their diet is the seeds and roots of aquatic plants, but they also eat molluscs and aquatic insects.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Carboneras, C., Christie, D.A. & Kirwan, G.M. (2017). Cinnamon Teal (Spatula cyanoptera). In: del Hoyo, J., Elliott, A., Sargatal, J., Christie, D.A. & de Juana, E. (eds.). Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive. Lynx Edicions, Barcelona. (retrieved from http://www.hbw.com/node/52892 on 19 April 2017).
- Gammonley, James H.. (2012). Cinnamon Teal (Anas cyanoptera), The Birds of North America (P. G. Rodewald, Ed.). Ithaca: Cornell Lab of Ornithology; Retrieved from the Birds of North America: https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/cintea
- Johnson, K. P. and M. D. Sorenson. 1999. Phylogeny and biogeography of dabbling ducks (genus: Anas): A comparison of molecular and morphological evidence. Auk 116 (3):792-805.
- BF Member observations
- Wikipedia contributors. (2018, November 24). Cinnamon teal. In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 10:47, December 4, 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cinnamon_teal&oldid=870390230
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Cinnamon Teal. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 7 December 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Cinnamon_Teal