- Myiarchus cinerascens
19–20·5 cm (7½-8 in)
- Streaky gray crown
- Pale gray throat and breast
- Pale yellow underparts
- Brownish-olive upperparts
- Pale wing bars and tertial edges
- Rufous primary panel (visible on closed wing)
- Greyish-white secondary panel, made up of the edges of those feathers (except in juveniles, where secondary edges are buffy or rusty-edged secondaries making the wing less two-colored)
- Brown tail looking mostly rusty from the underside but with a dark end
- Bill dark and slim
The sexes are similar
Breeds from Washington and Wyoming south to southwestern United States, east to Texas.
Rare vagrant on Atlantic Coast in late fall (mostly November and December) with records in nearly all eastern states and provinces, when it is the only Myiarchus likely to occur.
Winters in southern California and Arizona southward to Costa Rica.
- M. c. cinerascens:
- M. c. pertinax:
- South Baja California (south of latitude 29°)
Rocky canyons to 5500 ft, hillsides, low mixed oak and pine forest, oak woodland, transitional chaparral and hedgerows.
The clutch contains three to four eggs. The nest which is built in a tree cavity or similar natural or man-made hole.
The diet consists of arthropods and insects during the breeding season.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2019. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World: v2019. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Cardiff, S. W. and D. L. Dittmann (2020). Ash-throated Flycatcher (Myiarchus cinerascens), version 1.0. In Birds of the World (A. F. Poole and F. B. Gill, Editors). Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.2173/bow.astfly.01
- BF Member observations
- Birdforum thread discussing id of this species
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Ash-throated Flycatcher. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 30 November 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Ash-throated_Flycatcher
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.