• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

what was your bird of the day ? (1 Viewer)

60 Snow Finches on the back side of the Tourmalet.

A friend found a Wallcreeper in the village today - I missed it by 5 minutes........

I went out today in hopes of finding a Red Knot.

Came home with an even better bird.

A female Long-tailed Duck (Oldsquaw).

A rare bird for Southern California. Never did get a Red Knot, but the Oldsquaw beats a Red Knot anyday!!

Attachments

• LOng Tailed Duck3  PS.jpg
    LOng Tailed Duck3 PS.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 52
Wallcreeper day...

No less than 3 Wallcreepers on the local wintering site near Geneva, of which 2 were paired up and the male was singing heartily. Even more surprisingly the pair were actually in a tree, Maybe we have a new species the Tree Wallcreeper!!! The icing on the cake was an Alpine Accentor wintering down at this relatively low level site while we were buzzed by a Golden Eagle.

Mike

Saw 3-5 'akepa on Powerline Road yesterday, which was the most I've ever seen on the saddle in one day. I swear I was listening to a creeper before the second group of 'akepa appeared, as well.

My bird of the day for yesterday.

A "Long-legged Buzzard".

It appeared first over pine wood together with a Common Buzzard very early morning (06:50). They flew together for a while. Later on I saw that Long-legged Buzzard again while it was soaring over Acropolis Hill where the ruins of antique city Caunos near Dalyan. It was a fantastic moment.

İlker

My bird of the day has to be a real odd-ball -an escape most likely however its not every day you see a Violet Turaco especially in the date gardens of Bahrain in the Middle East.

Attachments

• prettyboy.jpg
    prettyboy.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 84
My bird of the day was a yellow-shafted flicker. They are common around and have been on my list for years but I don't often see them in my yard and this guy caught me off guard.

Horseshoe Lake, Saint Joseph, Missouri April 18, 2008

My "bird of the day" was a Glossy Ibis. We usually do not see them here in northwest Missouri. We do get the White-faced Ibis passing through our area though! Today I observed nine (9) White-faced Ibis and in with them was one (1) Glossy!

Prairie Warbler... today at the base of Mt. Sequoyah. An Arkansas lifer for me! I got some great looks at it too, as it hopped around and sang just above eye level not far from me.

Mine was a male cuckoo as it's the first I've seen. Funnily enough I've seen quite a few females and taken pictures but this was my first male. :t:

Bird of the day today Cerulean Warbler. At long last i found
a singing male. I have been targetting seeing this bird after reading about them and their problems. Last year i had it as a target species whilst in ther US , but never got near one. Until today, a superb fresh male singing its heart out in the warm spring sunlight here in the Appalachian mts
had great views and really appreciated its colours and song. we have been drinking Cerulean Warbler coffee sold via the American Bird cnservancy. think i got my reward today.

Bee-eater. It's been a long time since the Rainbow Bee-eaters in Australia and the Little Greens in Ismalia, but I can't believe they were more beautiful than this Bee-eater(though at the time I thought those were stunningly beautiful). What gorgeous things! I saw a small group of five or six. Really happy to get this tick. Lifer #571
Sue

Hi was this Eurasian Beeater? if so check my avatar !!! my all time favourite bird .
Hi Briddo,
Yes, it was a E. Bee-eater. I did notice your avatar and thought how ironic, especially after the way I saw the bird. We left here (Ostia, Italy), on Monday to contuinue our circumnavigation and had an electronic problem about 20 miles out, so we came back in. I just went for a quick birding walk this afternoon and saw the birds. I may have missed E. Bee-eaters completely if we had not had to come back. They weren't there the day before we left. I’m calling it my ‘Lucky Break’. Congrats on your warbler.
Sue

Had to be fate, Sue!
Gorgeous things aren't they.

Mine of course was Hobby - just about the best bird in the world - well, for their hunting/flying skills anyway.

I just cannot believe the past 2 days,first it was a Temmincks stint ,then 3 Collared pratincoles and this morning my first ever Spur winged plover,I am going back later to see if I can get a better shot of the plover as the sun was shining straight at me this morning.

Attachments

• DSCN3540 copy.jpg
    DSCN3540 copy.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 63
  • Temminck's stint.jpg
    Temminck's stint.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN3796 copy.jpg
    DSCN3796 copy.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back