• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 - will I regret it if I sell them? (1 Viewer)

Ebay will probably reach the widest audience (especially if you'll ship abroad) but it's probably also worth listing them here - very little hassle, there's a good number of optics geeks on both sides of the Atlantic (and indeed elsewhere) that will see your advert, and you don't have to pay any commissions. If a forum member has c.100 or so posts they'll be pretty reliable.

Ebay will probably reach the widest audience (especially if you'll ship abroad) but it's probably also worth listing them here - very little hassle, there's a good number of optics geeks on both sides of the Atlantic (and indeed elsewhere) that will see your advert, and you don't have to pay any commissions. If a forum member has c.100 or so posts they'll be pretty reliable.
Which excludes OP... lol

Anticipating lots of answers "Yes".

But still, here goes, help me think logically about this.

I'm 66. I "got into" binoculars a few years ago when I inherited my father's old Swift Audubons, and thought - "these are nice things". I know this is a Birdwatch forum, but I'm NOT a bird watcher. Or at least, not much. I may become one. I holiday in the Outer Hebrides.

So my use of binoculars is pretty much - "what's that over there? Is it a cow or a sheep? Oh look, some birds, what sort are they? Which hill is that? Is that a road we can drive down, or should we walk"

My other binoculars are a pair of cheap 8 by something (Vortex?), Nikon Monarchs 8x30 (I think), Swarovski Habicht 7x42, and these Zeiss 7x42.

The Zeiss are good. Very good. On holiday I gave them to my wife, who knows nothing about birds, binoculars, optics etc. She said - "these are really good, aren't they".

The Habicht are also very good, in terms of pure optics, as good as Zeiss (by which I mean brightness, chrom aberr, sharpness etc.). But suffer from the narrow FOV, a stiff focussing wheel. Though I actually like how they feel in the hand more than the Zeiss, and the cute smallness, retro look. The Habichts aren't old.

But I am at a time in my life where I need to do some rationalisation of money. I actually have thousands of pounds worth of unused stuff, optics, cameras, vintage hi-fi, musical gear.

I have, i the past, sold stuff I've regretted. But often not. So my attempt at "logic" at the moment is:

1. Can I make money from it by keeping it? The answer in this case is obviously "no".

2. Can I re-buy the exact same binoculars later if I change my mind? The answer here seems to be - "probably not". They aren't made anymore, anybody that has a pair is hanging on to them, they hardly ever appear used.

3. Can I buy something very similar in the future if I want to? I guess it's this question I need an answer to.

Mine are in mint condition, with the original box, case and so on. I am fairly sure Ffordes (for instance) would rank them "mint". I've hardly used them. If I take binos out I usually take the Habichts.

If at some point in the future I want a pair of 7x42s (because it's a good magnification) it seems there are things like Opticrons (new) or any number of other used ones for a couple of hundred quid that will fill the "is that a cow or a sheep over there" type question. And if I ever really want top quality birding bins, I'll respend the money and get Leica/Swarovski/Zeiss/Nikon that are almost the same.

I hasten to add, I'm not penniless, or about to go bankrupt. And at some point in the future if I really do want top birding bins, I could find the money to buy them. But I have an "asset" I'm not using. I think I actually got them at a discount from Ffordes as they were coming to the end of the line. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I can sell them for more than I paid.

Sorry to be so wordy.

You can always buy them again but the chances are you won't and to state the obvious, you'll get more for them in mint condition. Sounds like someone out there will be a happy bunny. Is your stiff focus on your Habicht something a service would put right?

How very true. Everywhere I turn in this house, every drawer or cupboard I open, every shelf I look on, I see something that I think - "oh look, that lovely thingamabob that I got back in such and such, ah, they don't make them like that anymore, proper quality that is, really good bit of kit". Then I put it back on the shelf.

Yes, move on god's sake.
It's not a (mild) case of HD or Plyushkin's disorder, is it?

Thanks for the replies folks. They are genuinely appreciated.

Short version:

The main question that I need an answer to is

"3. Can I buy something very similar in the future if I want to? I guess it's this question I need an answer to."

The answer appears to be "yes, more or less".

Long version:

I appreciate that this is a bird watching forum, populated with, no surprise, bird watchers. I'm not a bird watcher. But a combination of sentimentality, a certain holiday destination, a bit of OCD type "must have the best", and sudden influx of spare cash, means I now have in my possession what seems to be one of the most sought after binoculars of its type.

There is perhaps a difference of perspective that I need to make clear. I thought I had made it clear, but perhaps not. I find lying around my house many things of value, some of which are hardly ever, or never, used. And in an attempt to square up my finances, I am considering selling them. The binoculars, all of them really, come in to that category.

So the perspective about my lovely FL 7 x42s to regular visitors on this forum might be - "they are the best 7x42s there are". Mine is different - "there's a thousand quid there, hardly being used". As I say, I have several other things which collectively add up to a lot of money, not being used.

I've had them for about 10 years, and haven't turned into a keen birdwatcher. Though I enjoy using them on the rare occasions that I do. They hold no sentimental value for me at all (unlike dad's binoculars).

So what's the worst that can happen?

1. I sell them, and put the money to better use (mainly preparing for retirement)

2. Later I suddenly become very interested in bird-watching

3. I want/need a high quality pair of 7x42s.

4. The Zeiss Victory FL 7x42s aren't available, so I have to settle for something almost the same, but not quite. Either modest cost and OK, or expensive and as close as I can get to the (probably) unobtainable FL 7x42s.

That doesn't strike me as a particularly bad outcome, and even then, 4. is predicated on 2. actually happening.

To further clarify the difference in perspective, I haven't yet included any of my guitars in the "things I really must turn into cash". I'm a professional musician, and can (just about) justify my possession of each one - "that one's good for a proper jazz gig, that's good for studio work but too heavy for standing up gigs, that's a good cheap thing that I'm willing to risk leaving in the back of the car, that's a bit battered but is fine for teaching" and so on and so on. I daresay many people here can make the same "justification" about binoculars - "that's good for very great distance, this is good for low light, this one is light so good for long walks, this is a bit cheap but OK for the boat in case I drop it overboard", or whatever.

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated. Hopefully I've made it clear where I'm coming from.
I think it’s definitely a buyers market at the moment for optics and guitars. Prices have fallen for almost everything and unless you really need the cash, it’s probably not the best time. Unlike guitars, some recently discontinued binoculars are likely to reach a point where they are not serviceable and it won’t be long before the FL falls into that bracket ( if it hasn’t already ).

You’ll get good money for the 7x42 FL’s from people ‘ in the know ‘ …I’ve seen a few pop up at reasonable prices lately also, but FL’s are dropping in general. I’ve bought 2 recently from dealers (8x) and both were well under £500.00 and in excellent ( if not mint ) condition.

@Isthatascratch? There is no shortage of parts for FL's at the moment. However, all binoculars go that way eventually.
Did you get the 8X42 and 8X56 for yourself?
Harry..

I got an FL 8x32 which was great and compact …but sold it … then I got the FL8x42 which is brighter but a bit on the large size. I sold the FL 8x32 when I saw a Swarovski EL 8x32 for a good price and got the Swarovski with an extra £50 thrown in..it’s early 2000’s and a I have a recent Victory SF 8x32. …so I have kept the FL 8x42 for the time being…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back