• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

SF 10x32 compared to NL 10x32 (2 Viewers)

However... I am now inspired to try other 10x models, at least those with unusually wide fov (e.g. SF and Nikon HG, which I assume have faster focus?), but really wish there were more forehead rests on the market.
At least 80% of traffic here must result from the peculiar fact that no binocular quite seems to get everything right at once.

Remember, there were two iterations of the “big” SF the gray one and the black one.

That was due to the focuser, but maybe there are other snakes in the woodpile, and they designed them out of the “baby” SF.

Obviously this is pure speculation and guesswork.
As far as I know, the only change in the SF was in armor color.
Jerry

I recently had a chance to try the NL 10x32 for an outing. I usually shy away from 10x because I prefer to dwell in the image and any shake at all spoils that for me. I am also easily frustrated by a narrow fov. I tried the NL because I could try it with the forehead rest, and because it has an unusually wide fov for a 10x.

I was very nearly sold on it. The fov is perfectly usable. I found the view steady enough for brief views without the headrest and perfectly comfortable for longer dwelling with the headrest in place. I didn’t have any issues with blackouts. Seemed like a huge win.

However, the shallower depth of field (greater compression) from the 10x in combination of the horribly slow focus speed of the NL was a little annoying at greater distances and infuriating when walking into denser forest where the birds were closer. It’s such a shame, as I was really thinking maybe this would be the 10x for me. I am now inspired to try other 10x models, at least those with unusually wide fov (e.g. SF and Nikon HG, which I assume have faster focus?), but really wish there were more forehead rests on the market.
I agree with a lot of what you said here, It’s why I like 8x and 7x as my favorites. The image calmness, less image compression, DOF, and easier to find perfect focus, the 10x focus is usually very thin. That being said I find the 10x NL’s with the headrest and FOV to the best for me. The SF’s are my second favorite in that magnification, you make like those as well because of the faster focuser. The MHG although a faster focuser than the NL, is not in the same league in the area of FOV as the NL and SF’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back