• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (3 Viewers)

A colleague texted me this am, reporting a steady passage of Mipits going South.
Thus I headed (on bike) a mile to the North on forest land.
No Mips for me, however recompense was found in a female/immature Common Redstart, flyover Raven and a Treeper!…..all three needed by moi for the grdn.year list…that’s life! 😩

Started a bit later than recently, due to overnight rain. Viz-mig quite productive this morning, in the brief 30 minutes I had; #86 Rock Pipit 1+1 (+2 poss. but silent), 2 Meadow Pipits, 14 + 1 House Martins, 10 Swallows and 30+ Goldfinch. Treecreeper and singing Goldcrest in the scrub.

Rock Pipit is actually a Garden 1st #136.

I had previously counted all calling flyover Water/Rock Pipits as Rock Pipit. But then it was pointed out to me by a local recorder that Water Pipit would be the default species in my neck of the woods. Coming from London it was quite the opposite. So I recorded garden birds as either or.

This week I had a flyover 'Water Pipit' at a local site, and claimed it as such, only for another local guru to point out that it would be realistically too early for Water Pipit and Rock Pipit is much more likely. I can't win! :)

Except, I can win ;-) As all of my previous garden Water Pipits have been within reasonable time slots for Water Pipit, that's what I am counting them as. Today's birds being in a much more likely time slot for Rock Pipit is therefore a effectively a new bird.

My earliest UK autumn dates, over the last 40+ years, for (Scandinavian migrant) Rock Pipit is 22nd Sep. For Water Pipit it is 19th Oct. I'm not keen on balance of probabilities, but it obviously can't be ignored as a factor.

It's an ill wind - until they lump them.

Some spooky coincidences going on today on the Pipit front - yesterday our neighbour put 50 or so of his sheep in our field (the grass was getting a bit long and devoid of birds). 24 hours later and there are Robin, Black Redstart and Great Tit all feeding around our new wooly friends, plus the first White Wagtail on the ground for a couple of weeks. A quick scan found a scurrying

92 Water Pipit

joining in the feeding opportunities provided. 2023 was my first blank year here for the species and although I saw a few in nearby fields last April none passed by while I was looking/listening in Spring. Autumn records here have been in the mid September to November period so things are back to normal!
Thankfully I don’t have to worry about confusion species unlike some ;)
Edit Had a surprise visitor earlier (see phone photo)

Attachments

• IMG_2113.jpeg
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
Pipit magnets (looking very grumpy and wet, we’re on Amber Alert for floods and landslides till tomorrow so I hope the field is still in the same position when this episode is over!).

Attachments

• IMG_0846.jpeg
    IMG_0846.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Some spooky coincidences going on today on the Pipit front - yesterday our neighbour put 50 or so of his sheep in our field (the grass was getting a bit long and devoid of birds). 24 hours later and there are Robin, Black Redstart and Great Tit all feeding around our new wooly friends, plus the first White Wagtail on the ground for a couple of weeks. A quick scan found a scurrying

92 Water Pipit

joining in the feeding opportunities provided. 2023 was my first blank year here for the species and although I saw a few in nearby fields last April none passed by while I was looking/listening in Spring. Autumn records here have been in the mid September to November period so things are back to normal!

Was it weasely ID’d?

92 Water Pipit

Nice. I am sure I must get Stoat & Weasel in the garden, and I’ve even seen Polecat (dead) not far away. It’s just how to prove it. Maybe I’ll get a trail cam one day, or just get lucky.

Nice. I am sure I must get Stoat & Weasel in the garden, and I’ve even seen Polecat (dead) not far away. It’s just how to prove it. Maybe I’ll get a trail cam one day, or just get lucky.
I'd be happy to swap you one Stoat for one of your Otters BH, which colour scheme would you prefer (photo in front of the house New Year's Day 2017)?

Attachments

• Winter Stoat 2017.jpg
    Winter Stoat 2017.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
An early start this morning enabled me to see the Gulls on the Cricket Pitch, before the joggers’n’doggers arrived. Common Gull was my reward. The first record for September - cumulatively now standing on 90 species, my best month. May remains the only empty month.

IMG_3727.jpeg

A premature departure from the garden, for a quick grab and run Pale-legged Leaf Warbler, at Bempton, meant no other news. 😉

Only ever had 2 singleton flyovers in 41 years, once more again today, alas I was c300m North of my abode as it called going over…Linnet! (must get a bigger spread…”are you listening Santa”😉)
However, a “smaller” record…a bird bath 1st! on my return, a fancying it’s chances v the Poecile….Goldcrest!
Apart from another brown and green Chiffy today+Nutty and not forgetting Reynard….it’s still quiet on the Eastern front.😩

Attachments

• IMG_5416.jpeg
    IMG_5416.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5411.jpeg
    IMG_5411.jpeg
    533 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5396.jpeg
    IMG_5396.jpeg
    991.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5417.jpeg
    IMG_5417.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 7
It's been a crazy end of the month. I'll try and catch up a few days at a time so as not to flood this thread. To answer @KenM 's question from earlier, I've been here for 2 years now.

20 September

A very quiet day, 39 migrants. My first Western Meadowlark of the fall was nice.

21 September

A decent morning with 79 migrants, including some Vaux's Swifts (8). Best bird of the day was an adult

123. Ferruginous Hawk (2nd yard record)

that was distant but clear in the scope! My first fall record after one in spring 2023.

Photos include distant Ferruginous Hawk (plus Red-tailed for comparison) and a male Brewer's Blackbird.

Attachments

• BRBL_9:21:24.JPG
    BRBL_9:21:24.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
  • FEHA_9:21:24.JPG
    FEHA_9:21:24.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • FEHA1_9:21:24.JPG
    FEHA1_9:21:24.JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 6
22 September

Heavy overnight migration led to a great flight of 236 migrants. It was a distinctly fall flavored flight, highlighted without a doubt by my fourth yard record (and maybe 12-15th Arizona record) of BLACK SWIFT!!! This one was too distant for photos, unfortunately. I'm including the full migrant total today to demonstrate the big picture of the flight.

Vaux's Swift - 18
hummingbird sp. - 3
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1
American Kestrel - 21
Olive-sided Flycatcher - 1 (3rd yard record)
Western Kingbird - 1
Horned Lark - 15
Violet-green Swallow - 4
Barn Swallow - 11
swallow sp. - 5
Phainopepla - 4
Lesser Goldfinch - 1
Chipping Sparrow - 16
Brewer's Sparrow - 2
Spizella sp. - 29
White-crowned Sparrow - 2
Vesper Sparrow - 2
Savannah Sparrow - 2 (3rd yard record)
Lincoln's Sparrow - 1
sparrow sp. - 6
Yellow-headed Blackbird - 7
Western Meadowlark - 11
Hooded Oriole - 1
oriole sp. - 1 (probable ORCHARD ORIOLE... darn)
Brewer's Blackbird - 4
blackbird sp. - 6
Orange-crowned Warbler - 2
MacGillivray's Warbler - 1
Yellow Warbler - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's) - 2
Wilson's Warbler - 1
warbler sp. - 1
Western Tanager - 5
Passerina sp. - 1
passerine sp. - 44

The kestrel flight was enjoyable and started right at sunrise. Photos include a couple of kestrels, plus Savannah Sparrow and a Western Meadowlark shot I'm happy with.

Attachments

• AMKE_9:22:24.JPG
    AMKE_9:22:24.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 3
  • AMKE2_9:22:24.JPG
    AMKE2_9:22:24.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • SAVS_9:22:24.JPG
    SAVS_9:22:24.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 3
  • WEME_9:22:24.JPG
    WEME_9:22:24.JPG