• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Garden / Yard List 2024 (3 Viewers)

Two White-tailed Eagles, adult and youngster, hanging out on my do-it-yourself wetland these days, plus my Whooper Swan family still doing well, but otherwise beginning to get decidedly autumn on the wetland - ie general exodus of birds.

Did have a migratory flock of C30 Stock Doves this weekend - not an overly abundant bird here and never had a flock before, usually occasional singles or pairs

Every Autumn I hope for a roving Yellow-browed Warbler to move through the garden. A possibility not really dreamt of until a few years ago when the numbers just went through the roof. Then we had a couple of quieter years and it seemed like the possibility had passed.

Cue 2024 and the possibility seems, well, more possible. So I was pleased to find a decent little Tit flock moving through this afternoon - long story short (and I apologise for raising and dashing expectations) a couple of Chiffchaffs and, pleasingly, a Treecreeper.

IMG_3669.jpeg

Maybe tomorrow is Yellow-browed day.

Every Autumn I hope for a roving Yellow-browed Warbler to move through the garden. A possibility not really dreamt of until a few years ago when the numbers just went through the roof. Then we had a couple of quieter years and it seemed like the possibility had passed.

Cue 2024 and the possibility seems, well, more possible. So I was pleased to find a decent little Tit flock moving through this afternoon - long story short (and I apologise for raising and dashing expectations) a couple of Chiffchaffs and, pleasingly, a Treecreeper.

View attachment 1603711

Maybe tomorrow is Yellow-browed day.

I’ve had three, ‘15, ’16 and ‘20, here’s the one from ‘16, good nos. in so far this year so someone could be in for a treat.😮

Attachments

• IMG_1474.jpeg
    IMG_1474.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
I’ve had three, ‘15, ’16 and ‘20, here’s the one from ‘16, good nos. in so far this year so someone could be in for a treat.😮
There's hope for all us non-coastal Garden listers this year then, though on checking I see Haute-Savoie has only ever had six YbW so it's still unlikely for me in our location I fear. Still I'm a happy bunny this morning as the 'crest quest is successfully over and a new annual Garden List total established (y).
Things got off to a good start at the breakfast table when the (heard only up to now) Lesser Spotted Woodie flew into the cherry tree. I wasn't quick enough to exchange porridge spoon for camera as it (a female) flitted off in the mist. Then the noisy Short-toed Treecreeper shimmied up the adjacent apple tree in the gloom. As the rain stopped I got down 'n' dirty in the veg garden picking what are probably the last dwarf beans and courgettes. Not able to resist uprooting some weeds I ended up with mud covered hands just as a Common Treecreeper, Coal Tit and two(!)

91 Goldcrest

all arrived to feed in the pine tree right next to me. They all seemed quite settled but of course by the time I'd got cleaned up and equipped with the faithful Coolpix they'd all scooted off, at least the Treecreeper was cooperative, feeding just across the road but I'm still waiting for the Goldies to return (I can watch the tree from my 'office' which is handy). 91 species makes 2024 the best of our eight years here and I'm still missing a few normally guaranteed ones, Water Pipit, Citril Finch and Alpine Accentor the culprits, with Rock Bunting (an almost annual) still absent too. I'm also still 'scoping the field edges and fence posts for Wheatear and Whinchat, both of which I've seen within 1.5kms of home this month, so hope springs eternal etc....
Just to impress you all (or give you a good laugh) I attach a few photos of our elaborate French design style water 'feature' and its recent patrons. Whenever a Blackbird uses it most of the water is gone so I do need to improve things a bit;)

Attachments

• DSCN2768.JPG
    DSCN2768.JPG
    827.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN2789.JPG
    DSCN2789.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN2813.JPG
    DSCN2813.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2817.JPG
    DSCN2817.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
I ENVY the Black Redstart Richard (no chance of one in the garden), although I did get one on patch circa 1 mile away two years ago.
No doubt, once you’ve enhanced your water feature you’ll be pulling ‘em in something rotten!….remember it’ll be 30 species to beat for the year.🤩👍

Spent some time in the yard for the first time in a while, primarily keeping an eye out for raptor migration. Nothing in the skies, but a mixed flock moved through, including #68, summer tanager, a really fresh-looking female-type.
The birds certainly breed in some numbers in more densley wooded areas, so almost certainly a migrants moving through.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240924_111841_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240924_111841_Gallery.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
There's hope for all us non-coastal Garden listers this year then, though on checking I see Haute-Savoie has only ever had six YbW so it's still unlikely for me in our location I fear.

In the entirety of Lithuania, Yellow-browed Warblers are scarce, typically just a handful a year on the coast. Still however I had one in early October on my land a few years back - and I am 300 km inland (I think this might be the only inland record in the country). So chance for you Richard 👍

I'll be getting the little one out and about as much as possible, especially as the 90+ degree days are (hopefully) coming to an end. I think I will be reminded how much easier it is to bird with a baby than it is currently with my 2 year-old.
And there will be plenty of nap time where I'll be able to sneak outside and see what's moving through.

This morning a call loud & clear from high up: it was an

68: American Golden Plover!

It called 3 times as it headed east, but I never caught a glimpse.
Also today, a second record of Grey Wagtail - not just one, but three!
And the first Chiffchaff of the autumn, singing! Another Marsh Harrier too, today.
Fantastic H, it clearly scrambled your brain as Ken has obtusely hinted, that takes you to 88 not 68 I reckon, you’re breathing down my neck now;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back