- Pycnonotus goiavier
19–20·5 cm (7½-8 in)
- Olive brown crown, nape, underparts
- White face and side of head, eyebrow, throat, belly
- Black lores
- Breast whitish streaked brown
- Yellow under tail coverts
- Black bill, feet, eyes
- No white on tail
Southeast Asia: found in Indochina, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Malay Peninsula, Brunei, Singapore, Philippines, Borneo, Indonesia, Greater Sundas, Sumatra, Java, Sulawesi, Lesser Sundas and Bali.
There are 7 subspecies:
- P. g. jambu:
- P. g. personatus:
- P. g. analis:
- P. g. gourdini :
- Borneo and Maratua Islands
- P. g. goiavier:
- Northern and central Philippines
- P. g. samarensis:
- Philippines (Bohol, Cebu, Leyte, Samar, Ticao and Biliran)
- P. g. suluensis:
- Southern Philippines (Mindanao, Basilan, Camiguin Sur and Sulu Archawpelago)
Mangroves and coastal scrub, parks, gardens, and plantations.
The diet is wide and includes berries, seeds and small fruits, especially figs and cinnamon tree fruits, nectar, young shoots, and insects.
They build well-camouflaged but flimsy, cup-shaped nests from grass, leaves, roots, vine stems, twigs, lined with plant fibres. The clutch consists of 2-5 white or pinkish eggs with heavily spotted with reddish-brown to lavender markings. Both parents incubate and raise the young.
They can raise several broods each year.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved June 2018)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Yellow-vented Bulbul. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 28 November 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Yellow-vented_Bulbul
Search the Gallery using the scientific name:
Search the Gallery using the common name:
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.