- Patagioenas araucana
34–35 cm (13¼-13¾ in)
- Wine-coloured body
- Grey wings
- iridescent greenish neck patch
- Thin white band at back of neck
- Red iris and legs
- Blackish-grey bill
South America: found in central and southern Chile and Argentina.
This is a monotypic species.
This species has previously been placed in genus Columba.
Southern beech forest and rain forest.
They eat a wide variety of fruit and berries, particularly Araucaria fruit. They often feed in groups.
They often nest in bamboo thickets, building a platform nest from sticks. The clutch consists of 1 white egg.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Arthur Grosset
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved Apr 2018)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Chilean Pigeon. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 5 June 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Chilean_Pigeon