• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blogs (24 Viewers)

My name is Ernie. Some months ago, I purchased a Panasonic FZ50 super zoom camera, and was told in no uncertain terms it could not be used for Digiscoping. Well after some investigation I have proved this to be incorrect. Providing you have the right combination of equipment it will work quite well. I will use this Blog to show how my experiments have so far progressed. Ernie I have always believed that the statement, “Zooms above 3X, are no good for Digiscoping”, to be rather out moded in this day an age, fine, when there was nothing else available. But it has become stuck in the minds of most people for so long, that, when the 4X zoom cameras came along, most just accepted that they will not work, or, were not willing to make the...
Lovely evening and a much needed walk after an arduous 4 day C# course. Beddington Park, first up a fleeting glimpse of the arse of a Kingfisher. It had been a while since I had seen it, so well please. On to the SF....lots of Chiffchaffs on the way down to the main lake. On the lake itself, a pair of Shovler (1 female, 1 eclipse), and a little grebe. First Shovler I have seen of the winter. At the smaller pool there were several Black-tailed Godwits, being given a hard time by some coots. On the way back, lots of ticking Robins and Wrens, the reason was soon clear as a Hobby flew over my head!!
This post was created YESTERDAY. I told the smart little computer to post this at 6:00 whatever time, on September the fourth! Pretty amazing that we can select an exact sliver of time somewhere in the future, when otherwise we can't predict the future one second ahead of us? We can forecast weather by assuming that the clouds will keep rolling in the same direction, we can forecast when the birdies all the folk here are so dedicated to will begin to flutter off to their summering or wintering territories due to historical patterns. Time also has a pattern, and all of us and Einstein take it for granted that we will all be synchonized next Friday at 3. I don't know what timezone this blog is working in, but I can guaranatee you I won't...
If there's any place to do a Big Day in the state of New York, it's Jamaica Bay (or even better, add Jamaica Bay as a stop!). Without really trying to hard today I had 68 species (tying my previous record there - I have done no Big Days as you can see) and that's not including a calling Kingfisher, or a distant scaup species, or a fleeting glimpse at a likely Palm Warbler. The day went as follows. First I birded the West Pond and found a few early ducks, like Blue-winged Teal and wigeons. Then I went into the gardens and had over a dozen species of warbler, including some nice fall Chestnut-sided, Prairie and a Canada. Also mixed in there was a Blue-gray Gnatcacther and my long overdue NY White-eyed Vireos. It was a juvenile (dark...
Things have been pretty slow for me since I returned from my western peregrinations. However, migration is finally starting to get underway. I saw a male Blue-winged Warbler at the local park the other day, never seen one there before!! Been to Jones Beach, like my dear friend Birderbf. Also found the fallen-out Black Terns, and a bunch of fledgling Least Terns. Saw my first Whimbrel too!! I've been looking at sandpipers closely, but sadly I cannot find the reported Baird's and Buff-breasted:C. As I was leaving Jones, I noticed an American Crow being harried by a small, crossbow-shaped bird. A bird which moved like a bullet, the Sun flashing on his gray-blue wings. That's right folks, the falls first Merlin!! He looked liek a young...
Spent this afternoon at Flamboro- millions of Terns off the head with a smattering of Shearwaters and Skuas including my first Sooty Shearwaters. Also some ringing at Thronwick bay. I have extracted my first Linnet and ringed 6 Linnets and a Sedge Warbler. Nice.
Dis is cool!! I likes!! Welcomz one and all to mi humble blog. As you know my name is OwlTalon (that's all ur gonna get >:)). I guess I should post about mi life then. Finally figgerd out mi year list, 260. Not a bad haul, and the years far from over!! I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of SSBB: Super Smash Bros. Brawl on Wii. Looks like loads of fun, I been following updates. School starts on Wednesday, so I been hanging out with friends, and most importantly my wonderful girlfriend. :-) :-) I will post more tomorrow, as it is nearing midnight here.
Ah that spurred me on to making a blog, since I hope that BF's version won't be as much of a fuss as the blogs that actually have thir own address (I could never think of a good address to request anyway.... birderbf.blogspot.com? Sounds boring....) So this is entry one, a test, so I can actually find out what it will look like.
Today I didn't see any lifers....but I did see an American Tree Sparrow! They aren't unusual here in Ottawa, but they're not supposed to arrive in Ottawa until late September at the earliest!!!! I got a good look at it, and took about five photos to confirm it. I reported this to the OFNC bird status line. I also reported the female Pintail Duck since I don't see them mentioned in the weekly report that often. Now I just have to post the photos in my other blog!
Beautiful day to take Jamie for an amble through the Surrey hills, from Westhumble station to Ranmore Common NT. Joined the North Downs Way and stepped through the Wine vinyards seeing lots of Linnets, Starlings and a lone Kestrel. Got to Ranmore Common and was very pleased to find LOADS of Marsh Tits with their peculiar call. Was even accosted by a Tawny Owl in the middle of the day with the loudest 'hooo' I've heard.
Birding. Over the years it has given so much peace, pleasure, discovery. So much naked attention given in the woods, on the beach and marsh, etc. Always training the mind to see smaller and smaller differences and to remember details and past sights for comparison. Why do I bird? There are alot of answers. But in total honesty, one of the unconscious motives is the need to escape. I wonder how many have felt the same motive? Unemployment? A difficult marriage or childhood home? stressful job? When we head out dressed for the weather of the day, we find a new sense of self in the hunt for birds. The life problems fade away for the time. I improved my birding alot whilst unemployed. Eventually, I was good enough to work a...
You cant start a birding blog with a post saying you've done no birding today can you? I am. I'm sat on my fat backside after work and i can't be bothered to move. In all fairness to myself yesterday I spent the afternoon at Titchwell Safari Park and tomorrow I am going to start my escapades in ringing at flamborough head. Hard core I ain't Down at Titchwell I had a pleasant afternoon gaining a few crap year ticks:-Knot, R-t Diver and Gypo Goose. I know they are all lame and I really should have gone to see the Gypo goose at Tophill Low earlier this year for my Yorkshire list but frankly they are feral cack. Did get some nice close views of Dunlin & Ruff in all shapes and sizes on the freshmarsh (one sec-The Klaxons just came on MTV2...
Well, we didn't win. 13 teams participated and we are on fourth place with our 98 species. With 125 species a team from western Switzerland won, obviously with better weather conditions. At least we were better than the other team we met (by just 3 species). The race was also to raise money for a project to protect Middle-spotted Woodpeckers in Switzerland, our second rarest woodpecker which is in rapid decline. Looking forward to next year's race!
So Birdforum has a new blog...I've thought about it, and I've decided that I really like the idea. I already have one formal photo blog (which can be found at http://gillianm.livejournal.com/) but now that more and more people from the birding community are starting to read it I feel the need to keep it formal and professional. :scribe: However this one doesn't need to be as formal, can be more relaxed, and I'm not going to worry about posting photos. For that I will use my livejournal blog. So....welcome to Gillian's blog on BirdForum! :t:
Took Jamie down to Beddington. Beautiful view of a lesser Whitethroat, very tame, probably a juvenile. A few House Martins around still. There were 10+ Black-tailed Godwits on the lake by the golf course, first I have seen there this autumn. Good views of a Green Sandpiper as well, unusual as they are wary birds.
First blog entry about my birding activities in Switzerland and it's already about a Birdrace. Well, it was held yesterday. We were a group of four, André (another one), Peter, Enzo and me. We started at the Schwägalp in the mountains. Friday night we had to cycle up there (1,5hrs) as cars are not allowed by the rules. After 10 pm, the official start time, we headed out and got a calling Tawny Owl after about 20 minutes. We went to bed with a good feeling... ...which immediately changed when we got up in the morning. It was raining hard and foggy. Nevertheless we went out and started. It was birding by the hard way. Not very much activity and usually just a short call. We needed the first four hours to clean up the Thrushes and the...
Underlined means a 2007 year bird BOLD means a lifer. This is my first blog entry. I recently went to Wales, got back yesterday at about 8pm. We stayed in a lovely cottage on a farm in Carmarthenshire. We arrived around 4pm on Saturday the 18th. On the way there I tried to spot as many birtds as possible from the car, only got about 15 species, things such as Kestrel, Woodpigeon, Gulls, Carrion Crow, Buzzards etc. The first day was pretty uneventful, we went shopping to stock up on things for the cottage but nothing really obird wise. Anyway I manage to pack in about 3 months worth of birding into a fortnight, got 7 lifers and it was very enjoyable. Day 2- The first birding day We woke up around 7ish to go for a walk around the farm. I...
So, we now have blogs! I think this is a great idea as it allows those of us who already have a blog (which is not exclusive to birding) to post bird only related items. All I have to do now is remember to use it!

Users who are viewing this forum

Back