• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jamaica Bay NWR (1 Viewer)

If there's any place to do a Big Day in the state of New York, it's Jamaica Bay (or even better, add Jamaica Bay as a stop!). Without really trying to hard today I had 68 species (tying my previous record there - I have done no Big Days as you can see) and that's not including a calling Kingfisher, or a distant scaup species, or a fleeting glimpse at a likely Palm Warbler.

The day went as follows. First I birded the West Pond and found a few early ducks, like Blue-winged Teal and wigeons. Then I went into the gardens and had over a dozen species of warbler, including some nice fall Chestnut-sided, Prairie and a Canada. Also mixed in there was a Blue-gray Gnatcacther and my long overdue NY White-eyed Vireos. It was a juvenile (dark eye). Then came another, an adult, and a third! Broke my curse, and beat it to a pulp.

But right now, before the landbirds hit hard, the shorebirds steal the show. I missed the reported Baird's, and Wilson's Phalarope (heck, I'd had that one at Jamaica Bay earlier). But otherwise I was content. From the Raunt, a place on the East Pond easily accessible from the visitor center, I could only find a Solitary Sandpiper and a pair of White-rumpeds among the more common things.

Soooooo I found myself at the north end of the pond. I walk in and after a few peeps, there's a lonely Red-necked Phalarope minding it's own business. Another NY addition! Then farther down I found a whole lot of gulls and terns (almost exclusively Forster's), but not as many shorebirds as the beginning of August. But among the plentiful dowitcher, yellowlegs, and peeps, I figured out how to ID Stilts Sandpipers for myself (only my second encounter with them). They are much thinner (very apparent from head-on or heading-away view) and seem shaped more like a Lesser Yellowlegs in profile, despite being more similar in actions and plumage (at this time of year anyway). The one thing they do that dowitchers cant though is: look down! They're beak is short enough to allow a peek directly below without touching the water surface.

After them, I was looking at White-rumpeds and looking for Western Sands, when for no apparent reason, almost all of the birds there took off. It wasn't long before I found what I was looking for in there: big dark body, long, upturned beak, white tail with broad black subterminal band: Hudsonian Godwit! And shortly thereafter, I found a giant Semipalmated Sandpiper with a few reddish scapulars and a long long long beak. Western Sandpiper! (The bold birds were new to some record of mine.)

I had quite a full day of birding, and it was only 12:30 when I left!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back