• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blogs (8 Viewers)

First time to CA for a while with Jamie....First Common Gulls of the autumn have arrived, always good to see...lots of passerines around, heard Mipits for the first time in a while and a flock of about 100 Greeenfinches!! Highlight though was undoubtedly a pair of Bullfinches. I will make sure I get up here regularly to check them out....
Fire Island Sunken Forest trail 9-30-07, 11:30am - 2:30pm with Biago Walking out from the bathrooms spotted 2 does not far off the deck. Along the concrete path along the coastal dunes were a few Golden-Crowned Kinglets. A few minutes later a female Merlin made several passes at songbirds over the dune forest canopy. Then a Red-Shouldered Hawk was soaring over the dunes for a few minutes. Eastern Phoebes were everywhere in the park at least 15 different birds with 4-6 juveniles. West of the ocean side entrance in a wooded dune were several black capped chickadees, downy woodpeckers and a Brown Crepper. About 5 minutes into the sunken forest trail stumbled upon two very small brown birds that would take refuge under the boardwalk and...
I camped at Jones Beach last night. The birding was pretty good. Forster's and Common Terns and Black Skimmers were thick over the bay, the skimmers staying until well after dark. Black-crowned Night Herons were everywhere, squawking and stalking around the pilings. Ospreys were common as well. In the morning, the migrants were out in force. Palm Warblers and Savannah Sparrows were the most numerous. There were a few Purple Finches, a handful of Red-breasted Nuthatches, Song Sparrows, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. A Brown Thrasher put in an appearance, and someone claimed to have seen a Lincoln's Sparrow. Mockingbirds and Starlings were omnipresent and always. Ruddy Turnstones, Willets, Dunlin, and Black-bellied Plovers were the...
I almost forgot in my last post that in addition to what I saw at Flamborough Head, I also saw a small flock of what I took to be redwings. I was thinking it was possibly a bit early for them, but they have indeed been sighted recently at Flamborough, so another year tick. It seems I missed a lot of good stuff there over the weekend - one day I need a better trip up there and really seek out the rarities.
I have already posted this in the Info Wanted forum, but thought I would make a blog entry as well. I will be spending Thanksgiving weekend with my parents in Cambridge, Ontario and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for good spots to go birding? I'm looking for places good for waterfowl, shorebirds, migrating passerines, etc. Last year I saw my first red-bellied woodpecker and would like to see another one so any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!
After getting a haircut I was walking around a park in northern Nassau County, on Long Island, when I spotted a finch. A Purple Finch! Just one, but that was enough to make my day. It flew into another tree, and I lost it but found a nice Brown Thrasher. The finch eventually popped back into view. Then a second flew in. A third. Fourth. Fifith. Sixth! A whole little flock that was scared of by starlings a minute later. It sure seems to be the winter of the Purple Finches so far!
What a last day wandering round the wetlands to the north of Villa Real de Saint Antonio on our bikes. I will definitely go back and spend more time with my scope and camera (which broke), full list of species seen....Highlights in red... Little Grebe Great Crested Grebe Cormorant Little Egret Grey Heron White Stork Spoonbill Flamingo Mallard Osprey Marsh Harrier Lesser Kestrel Hobby Coot Avocet Black-Winged Stilt LRP Ringed Plover Sanderling Turnstone Redshank Greenshank Black-Tailed Godwit Whimbrel Ruff Black-Headed Gull Mediterranean Gull Yellow-Legged Gull LBBG Sandwich Tern Caspian Tern Wood Pigeon Collared Dove Swift Kingfisher GSW Skylark Barn Swallow Red Rumped Swallow House Martin Grey Wagtail Wren Robin Redstart Wheatear...
I'm going to start a blog on here... some will be straight ports across from my own blog, and others will be here (these will be tedious lists and stuff, I warn you!) Also, my birding knowledge sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, and I have a lot to learn, so I'd very much appreciate any comments putting me straight if anything I ever write anything totally rubbish... Anyway, today I was booked in to go on the RSPB's skua/shearwater cruise from Bridlington. Having never seen any skuas or shearwaters in my life, I thought it would be a good way to tick off a few lifers, hopefully see some surprise migrators, and maybe even a few whales and dolphins. Sadly, the trip was called off due to bad weather, despite it actually being quite a...
Saw the weather systems headed our way and cant go out at weekend so made sure i was out today! Rocked up at 9ish to immediately get rubbish views of the Greenish Warbler plus Willow Warbler, Redstart & Goldcrest everywhere. Dipped the Yellow-browed Warbler that had been seen earlier. All of a sudden Little Bunting comes over the CB- ran from the Crown and Anchor car park to Beacon Lane but to no avail it had already flown. Pretty quickly after a Great Grey Shrike was seen in the triangle but oh no i get an important call from work- i get a brief flight view whilst talking to the boss. Whilst looking along the bushes I see the shrike take flight along the canal and down into the bushes the last I see of it. A poke around the crown and...
Had a twitch for the bluethorat at Spurn today that was almost entirely unproductive. Dipped it but did see both pied and spot flys in the crown and anchor car park. Was blimming cold as well. A stonchat and a few meadow pipits were also about. Had a promising phylloscopus warbler briefly in the crown and anchor car park that gave a trisyllabic goldcrest like call, but different somehow. After registering at uni thought id drop in on North Cave after yesterdays good luck. Saw that a phalarope species had been noted in the book and immediately picked up a Grey Phalarope on the far side of the main lake spinning like a top. Lifer. Sweet. My luck isnt too bad at the moment!
Pallid Harriers are on the move with several birds reported, among them adult males too. An unusual Steppe Common Buzzard was also seen in West Hungary. A nice flock of 208 Dotterels was reported from the Hortobagy along with a long staying immature White Pelican and a single Short-toed Lark. Lesser White-fronted Geese have also arrived to the ortobagy with a flock of 42 birds reported. Interesting bird records included 2 Pectoral Sandpipers and a Yellow-browed Warbler ringed, as well as many Bar-tailed Godwits. Migration is really in full swing now in Hungary.
Magic Birding Circuit Ecuador Trip Report March 4 – 23, 2007 ;) [LEFT]The Hosteria San Jorge was built as a traditional 18th Century Spanish Hosteria. It consists of 200 acres in the Pichincha Foothills. San Jorge is the only reserve within minutes of the Capital of Quito and it offers the incredible Magic Birding Circuit, this consists of 5 nature and bird watching reserves with the possibility of seeing over 800 species of birds; it covers almost all of the altitudes in Ecuador from the Paramo to the Sub tropical Rainforests. March 4, 2007 Arrive Quito Airport, Dr. George Cruz waiting for us with very warm and friendly greetings, George is the owner of the San Jorge Magic Birding Circuit, George transferred us to his...
Spent a long weekend without much birding, just a few Red-rumped Swallows buzzing around our BBQ site along with the resident Japanese Wagtail, Black-backed Wagtail and Bull-headed Shrike. Then come Tuesday I was back at my local patch Hiroshima Castle, trying to find migs. Yesterday found 3 Short-tailed Bush Warblers together, along with just 1 Arctic Warbler and 1 Brown Flycatcher. Today was a little better with a Black-browed Reed Warbler, looking very out of place in the ornamental bushes, 2-3 Brown Flycatcher, a singing Japanese Thrush and no less than 7 Arctic Warblers gleaning together..could even hear their bills snapping! More goodies t come I hope.:t:
Stunning photographs of three of the London Wetland Centre’s most familiar wetland birds – a Mute swan, Heron and Shelduck were the unanimous winners of the first ever WWT Nikon Photographic Competition announced at an awards ceremony last week. The awards celebrated the wealth of wildlife and wetland experiences on offer to visitors at WWT’s nine UK centres and showcased the talent of amateur and junior photographers. For more information about the WWT competition and winners, please visit: http://www.europe-nikon.com/news_room/news.html?locale=en_GB&bandwidth=broad&id=1149&type_index=2&universe=[universe:xx]
Had my first visit to North Cave in a while as im back at Hull uni for my 2nd year. Had a Buzzard being mobbed by crows and gulls over South Cave on my way to the reserve. Was just having a quick look in, Red-legged Partridge from the car. Lots of Common & BH Gulls plus a single Herring. Plenty of wildfowl about including Pochard and Shoveller. A presumed escape Barnacle Goose was good looking. No waders bar a few lapwings. Lots of Little Grebes about. Was just about to leave when i spotted a juv Black Tern hawking over the reedbed lake. Yorkshire year tick 189! Get in. Gonna be birding a lot over the next few days- exciting considering the winds. Mint!
This is a place where it's rare to have a day without anything rare. I'd say between today and August, there wasn't a day when either a godwit (about 3 Hudsonians long-staying, one Marbled flyover), phalaropes (about 3 Wilson's, two Red-necked) or something else (avocet, golden-plovers, etc etc) was present. Today it was an avocet. So I met BF user OwlTalon and we spent a good part of the morning at the north end of the East pond. At first nothing spectacular... Least Sandpipers, Semis, a couple of White-rumped. Farther down we encountered our first Westerns of the day (abundant). At the first spit we located some Semi Plovers, a couple of Greater Yellowlegs, and, thanks to OT, a pair of Pectoral Sandpipers on the island. Did I mention...
Birderbf beat me to the summary. I can't really sum it up better than he did, nor do I have pictures!! Lots of unusual birds, and four lifers for me!! (AMAV, PESA, STSA, and BASA). Again lots of surprises, all the peeps in one day (Baird's is a REAL treat!!), a Sharp-shinned Hawk attacking some peeps (they retailiated with ferocity :-O), and above all the American Pipit. encounter is detailed and illustrated in my friends blog. Check it out for the full trip report.

Users who are viewing this forum

Back