• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland 2024 (4 Viewers)

My impression (though I'm far from expert on Swiss birding) is the sites in the pre-alps that are actually closer to Zürich tend to have some of the montane species (Grouse, Three-toed WP, Pygmy-Owl, though generally not Citril or Snow Finch or Rock Partridge) but the birds are usually hard, there is more disturbance, and you're better off traveling a bit further for better chances.

A good website to give you a good idea of where birds generally should occur is vogelwarte.ch, and navigate to the species profiles then to the maps which are quite useful. IE, here is a heat map for occurrence of the Woodpecker: Birds of Switzerland - Swiss Ornithological Institute

Unfortunately pretty much any interesting bird species is marked as sensitive on eBird, and ornitho.ch has a clunky interface and limits you to 15 days of sightings history, so it makes it pretty challenging to get an idea of where anyone actually sees anything here.

Another trick with birding in CH is then figuring out all the bits about access once you've figured out where you want to go: Can you actually drive there and if so where can you park, or should you / can you get there via train and Postbus. Then are you better off using a ski lift / gondola and if so are the lifts running at that time of year and if so when is the first lift in the morning and such... always a bit of a hassle to figure out all of the logistics for new sites. I'd recommend carrying a bit of cash, some of the mountain lifts and some of the little restaurants don't take card.

Another trick with birding in CH is then figuring out all the bits about access once you've figured out where you want to go: Can you actually drive there and if so where can you park, or should you / can you get there via train and Postbus. Then are you better off using a ski lift / gondola and if so are the lifts running at that time of year and if so when is the first lift in the morning and such... always a bit of a hassle to figure out all of the logistics for new sites. I'd recommend carrying a bit of cash, some of the mountain lifts and some of the little restaurants don't take card.

I think it is cultural character of Swiss. They organize everything, even things for which the simplicity is an essential component.

I long ago realized that essential part of resting is mental rest from planning and keeping schedules. This means that if I have to spend an hour figuring out and booking transport connections, routes, which bus goes when and where, I either rely on my friend who is good at planning holiday trips, or just go for a bike ride close to home.

I think it is cultural character of Swiss. They organize everything, even things for which the simplicity is an essential component.

I greatly appreciate the availability of all the transit and all the lifts / gondolas, even if it is a bit of a pain to figure it out most of the time.

I long ago realized that essential part of resting is mental rest from planning and keeping schedules. This means that if I have to spend an hour figuring out and booking transport connections, routes, which bus goes when and where, I either rely on my friend who is good at planning holiday trips, or just go for a bike ride close to home.

We don't plan ahead much. I would say about 2/3 - 3/4 of the time that we have an idea to do something we never progress far enough in the logistics to make it a reality before we just say "oh f**k it, let's just do something we know how to do or let's just go for a bike tour." We can plan a multi-day bike tour much faster than a one day hike, frequently.

Some great birds reported today
  • Caspian Tern at Preverenges
  • Western Subalpine Warbler at Orny
  • Eastern Subalpine Warbler at Locano
  • Short toed Snake Eagle at Leuk ( one of my best sites) and Locano
  • Pied Avocet at Klingnauersee
It's all kicking off!

I greatly appreciate the availability of all the transit and all the lifts / gondolas, even if it is a bit of a pain to figure it out most of the time.
Austria, France, Germany have the birds, ski lifts, roads with 3 times less regulations. But it is going off topic.

Bird of the day for me is the Horned or Slavonian grebe.
Seen in Noville in breeding colours.
I am surprised they are still here, but they seem to stay till early May.

Some great birds reported today
  • Caspian Tern at Preverenges
  • Western Subalpine Warbler at Orny
  • Eastern Subalpine Warbler at Locano
  • Short toed Snake Eagle at Leuk ( one of my best sites) and Locano
  • Pied Avocet at Klingnauersee
It's all kicking off!
There was also an early Whiskered Tern at Verbois (GE) the other day and a Savi's Warbler is still present at Sionnet. Several Hoopoes have also been seen in the last few days.

Mike

Apparently at least one Savi's Warbler @ Katzensee over the weekend, and a good mix of migrants in general.

We spent the weekend cycling, perhaps missed the best weekend for local birding but c'est la vie :)

What happened to the good weather!! Just returned from UK.
I missed some nice birds last week including:
  • Squacco Herons (VD)
  • Moustached Warblers (VD)
  • Pied Avocet(VD)
  • Spoonbill (BE)
  • Glossy Ibis(VD)
  • Little Crake (BE)
Hopefully some goodies will be seen at the weekend.

As good weather was uncertain for this week, decided to go to Klingnauersee to see the newly arrived visitors.
Wind and Rain, even Hail Showers caused some problems, however some 50 Species heard or seen.
No sign of Cuckoo but Nightingales and Savi Warblers were calling well.
Sedge Warblers and possible Reed Warbler were heard.
A nice Spotted Redshank was also seen.
So many Barn Swallows, House Martins and Sand Martins; hope they survive the cold snap that is coming!

Attachments

• IMG_9879.jpeg
    IMG_9879.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9886.jpeg
    IMG_9886.jpeg
    32.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9906.jpeg
    IMG_9906.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9890.jpeg
    IMG_9890.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 4
Caspian Terns at Prevenges and Grangettes, and Slender Billed Gull at Martigny reported.

A pair no less (from Ornitho.ch) !

Domaine des Iles / Martigny (VS)
cavs_requested.gif
2 Goélands railleurs (Chroicocephalus genei)
[
Collaborateur SI
Jérémy Savioz]
[
Collaborateur SI
Livio Rey]
[
Collaborateur SI
Bertrand Posse]
[
Collaborateur SI
Enrico Gerber]
Remarque de Jérémy Savioz :
Merci Bertrand pour le signalement!

Remarque de Bertrand Posse :
Probablement un couple, d'après le comportement et la différence de taille entre les deux individus.

Détail de Bertrand Posse : 2x adultes
Goéland railleur - Gerber Enrico

Goéland railleur - Gerber Enrico

Users who are viewing this thread

Back