• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AOU-NACC Proposals 2024 (1 Viewer)

That's never been a serious contender. IIRC the NACC is going for Cocos Booby, which complements the existing Nazca Booby; both are named after the geologic plates that correspond to their range.

I never brought it up when I first posted that proposal, but there is some salt to put it lightly about the whole eponym situation in that proposal, that I don't think was needed.
I also hesitated to mention it. But it is very interesting to see the different positions some members have on the Booby proposal vs the Cape Petrel proposal, which is even saltier!

I also hesitated to mention it. But it is very interesting to see the different positions some members have on the Booby proposal vs the Cape Petrel proposal, which is even saltier!
I will have to check that. As someone who has never seen that species nor is likely to see it in the nearish future, I didn't pay much attention to it.

The second one is definitely an Atlantic, not a Cocos/Brewster's. Juvenile Booby id is far out of my area of expertise and I am at work without the resources to check
Given recent events, 'Brewster's' is highly unlikely to stick so I woder what the name of the new species will be?

Well, if we have to remove all the slang from bird names then I fear we have a greater problem on our hands with all those assorted tits, tit-tyrants, boobies, -peckers, -cocks, rheas, shags and thrushes 😅

There is a coconut joke here (English and Spanish) that fortunately I am far too sophisticated to mention. Coco is also slang for a beautiful girl and for cocaine. So this makes for a very thoughtful and politically correct bird name.

Isn’t coco a cocaine user not the drug itself, and I guess only in Mexico? And I haven’t run across coco for a woman before but there is different slang in every country. Coco can also mean clever or a crush as far as I know and I am sure plenty more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back