• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland 2024 (4 Viewers)

I am back in Zurich now, and might get to Rapperswil tomorrow if time permits, would be nice to see a few ducks, look for the Common Loon and GWFG, and perhaps luck into a Little Gull or Waxwings (though could just as easily luck into them locally).

Also hoping to get to Langenthal for the mega Brambling roost. Anyone here been yet?

welcome back..hope the holidays were good and the birding better…I dipped on the Brambling roost but who knows where they are now! Have fun.

Bwaaa... Was in N and NE Brazil and French Guiana for some time, then Argentina for the holidays, then SE Brazil for a week on the way back home. Birding was terrific!

I made it to Rapperswil today. Really nice day with a lot of sun, highlights were a drake Ferruginous Duck in the harbor @Rapperswill, and 2-3 Little Gulls. Overall nice, but missed the Scoter (perhaps it has left as apparently a similar female Common Scoter was reported at Nuoloner Ried) and didn't get over across the lake to look for other stuff like Loons/Geese.

Nice winter birds around:
  • Tundra Bean Geese at Fanel and Yverdon
  • Smews at Inkwilersee, Pfaffikersee and Aazopf
  • Horned Grebe at Sempach, Seedorf, Bodensee and Jona
  • Greater Scaup at Alpnach, Munsterlingen and Lachen
  • Greater White Fronted Geese at Freienbach and Yverdon
  • Common Scoter at Lachen
  • Northern Diver at Guttingen, Yvonand, Noville

Bird of the day..Slavonian or Horned Grebe.
Seen recently at Sempachersee, Cheseaux, Rapperswil, Yverdon.
Other recent sightings include:
  • Jack Snipe at Krummi
  • Moustached Warbler at Grangettes
  • Oystercatcher at Crudefin
  • Cetti Warblers at Hagneckdelta
  • Ruddy Turnstone at Geneva

Bird of the day..Slavonian or Horned Grebe.
Seen recently at Sempachersee, Cheseaux, Rapperswil, Yverdon.
Yesterday Bittern and I made our New Year (yes I know it's mid February already!) visit to Lac Neuchatel, restricting ourselves to the S.Western end around Yverdon, where the Slavonian Grebes that Mcnswiss mentioned on Saturday were nowhere to be seen, despite an encouraging number of birders out and about. We did pretty well, clocking up c60 species in the day. Highlights were a solitary Whooper Swan (normally they are only at the other N.Eastern end of the lake so that was a nice surprise), also seeing a distant Red-necked Grebe which to me feels rarer than Slavonian, at least in the Western part of Switzerland (which is all I know really ;) ). Moving round to Champ-Pittet reserve we had an elevated view of the lake which enabled us to find a Red-throated Diver way offshore, plus 7 or perhaps 9 of its Black-throated cousins. A smart Great Egret already sporting its fluffy aigrettes was hunting frogs in one of the pools and a couple of Black Woodpecker were making a heck of a racket in the woodland while a Red Kite thermalled overhead with 2 Common Buzzard. We started back west towards Geneva but not before stopping to bird at Chavornay Reserve, a real wildlife oasis in an all too tidy Swiss agricultural landscape (see photo). One of the breeding Marsh Harrier was already back home and a group of fifty plus Wigeon were loafing there along with the other wildfowl. Rarity value there came from four Pygmy Cormorant, some beginning to look more adult like after arriving in juvenile plumage last Autumn. !the big question for Switzerland of course is will some breed in the country in 2024, at Les Grangettes/Noville at the eastern end of Lac Léman another group are starting courtship apparently.....

Attachments

• DSCN0599.JPG
    DSCN0599.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0624.JPG
    DSCN0624.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0606.JPG
    DSCN0606.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0623.JPG
    DSCN0623.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Little and large.jpg
    Little and large.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN0627.JPG
    DSCN0627.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
It has unsurprisingly been very slow birding of late around Zürich. Aside from a few predictable water birds around really nothing of interest that I’ve been able to find. There are off and on reports of Hen Harrier at Pfäffikersee/ried and I cycle out that way from time to time so I have taken bins but not seen it/one there. A few reports of Wood Lark around a week or so ago were interesting.

Thinking about getting up to the pre alps in the next days or week given the low snow levels. Hopefully I can kick up something more interesting!

It has unsurprisingly been very slow birding of late around Zürich. Aside from a few predictable water birds around really nothing of interest that I’ve been able to find.

Same for me. Though, this morning on Kaferberg I got the impression that I heard a Crossbill. Didn't see anything resembling it though. I did get a glimpse of something looking like a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

Certainly not sure enough of either to put in eBird though.

Same for me. Though, this morning on Kaferberg I got the impression that I heard a Crossbill. Didn't see anything resembling it though. I did get a glimpse of something looking like a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker.

Certainly not sure enough of either to put in eBird though.
It's certainly a good winter for Crossbill Frank and although they tend to be more reliable a bit higher up than you, I see on Ornitho.ch that some were reported in Zurich recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back