• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marton Mere, Stanley Park and surrounding area (1 Viewer)

I had a look for Paul's owls between the same times today but no joy.

This afternoon there were a large number of gulls on the Mere and scanning through the Black-headed flock eventually produced a first summer Med Gull. No sign of the Iceland though which may finally have left.

Stephen

I had a look for Paul's owls between the same times today but no joy.

This afternoon there were a large number of gulls on the Mere and scanning through the Black-headed flock eventually produced a first summer Med Gull. No sign of the Iceland though which may finally have left.

Stephen

Iceland G was thereabout 11.00am on Saturday - seen by two lads from Chorley I met down at Bank End

Last edited:
Stunning day at Martin Mere with Male Montagu's Harrier three Marsh Harriers and an Osprey and now a Common Crane has just turned up

Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

I think the Crane has been around on and off for a while Frank.

There is another thread somewhere on here for Martin Mere (and Mere Sands Wood).

In terms of Marton Mere and Stanley Park there was a Wood Warbler and then a couple of Spotted Flycatchers in the park earlier in the month, the water levels at the Mere have been very high.

I think the Crane has been around on and off for a while Frank.

There is another thread somewhere on here for Martin Mere (and Mere Sands Wood).

In terms of Marton Mere and Stanley Park there was a Wood Warbler and then a couple of Spotted Flycatchers in the park earlier in the month, the water levels at the Mere have been very high.

Oops , i should know that as i started that thread , my eyes ain't what they used to be

Frank

I wonder if they are the same ones I saw at the Nook?

I will be up there again this week visiting family, so I will keep my eyes on that area.

Cheers for the info Stephen.

Might go and do soem Fylde coast birding on Sunday - starting at Freckleton and hopefully ending up at Glasson. Hope to visit Warton, Fairhaven, Marton Mere, Skipool, Rossal. If I have time then Knott End, Preesall, Fluke Hall, Pilling, Cockersand and Glasson.

Can they all be done in one day without staying too long at either? Or should i split them both into 2 separate visits?

Would love to get any sea ducks, Cuckoo, Dotterel, Tree Pipit, Wood Warbler - last 2 are prob unlikely due to location?

Might go and do soem Fylde coast birding on Sunday - starting at Freckleton and hopefully ending up at Glasson. Hope to visit Warton, Fairhaven, Marton Mere, Skipool, Rossal. If I have time then Knott End, Preesall, Fluke Hall, Pilling, Cockersand and Glasson.

Can they all be done in one day without staying too long at either? Or should i split them both into 2 separate visits?

Would love to get any sea ducks, Cuckoo, Dotterel, Tree Pipit, Wood Warbler - last 2 are prob unlikely due to location?

The last two are more likely than Dotterel - I found the last ones and they were in 2000. Before that the last spring ones were in 1988, so that's two trips in a quarter of a century. But it is on the late side for Tree Pipit and Wood Warbler.

There are still small number of scoter off the coast, I saw about 30 tonight as well as seven porpoises.

The Short-eared Owl was seen again today at the Mere.

Stephen

The last two are more likely than Dotterel - I found the last ones and they were in 2000. Before that the last spring ones were in 1988, so that's two trips in a quarter of a century. But it is on the late side for Tree Pipit and Wood Warbler.

There are still small number of scoter off the coast, I saw about 30 tonight as well as seven porpoises.

The Short-eared Owl was seen again today at the Mere.

Stephen

Thanks! Wood Warbler near Barley in Pendle, will give it a shot on today.

How about the places - shou;d I split them into 2 separate visits ?

Think the timetable of visits is purely your decision to be honest.
It shouldn't be a race to get as many sites as possible in, in one day.

I know but i have little time. I have no idea how big the sites so might split my trip southern half of the Fyle versus Noerthen half.

Btw i got my Wood Warbler today! Seen all British regular breeding warblers now. A milestone!

An excellent collection of scarce waders on the flood at Weeton today, not too far from the Mere. 2 Temminck's Stint, 1 Little Stint and a Wood Sand which has apparently moved on.

Where's the flood at Weeton please, Stephen? I go near there on my commute.

Martyn,

It is most closely viewed from the footpath that runs from Westfield Cottages to the 'Wake Park' at Ream Hills. Nothing there today apparently.

If you are commuting the pool to the north of the road east of Mythop Grange might pull something in the next few days as there is an exposed margin. It has had Wood Sand, Ruff and Greenshank in the past.

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back