• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marton Mere, Stanley Park and surrounding area (3 Viewers)

Many thanks Stephen how far is Rossall Point from the Pleasure Beach and could I do both Starr Gate and Rossall Point in 4/5 hours again many thanks for your help

My visit update is now on my blog link below.
Had a great day and many thanks to all the info and help did manage to get the species I went to see so can now add Sandwich tern to my life list

Again many thanks to all

Link to blog hope you enjoy

http://abbeybirder.wordpress.com/2013/09/01/blackpool-starr-gate-lytham-visit-31-08-2013/

Glad you had an enjoyable and productive day.

In terms of Lytham St Annes Nature Reserve it has had some good birds over the years at migration times. Maurice Jones found two Subalpine Warblers there, not got the references to hand but I think these are the only Lancs records. I visited fairly often when I worked nearby and my highlights were a Common Rosefinch and a Hoopoe.

Stephen

That reserve could be a brilliant GEM in the Flyde birding area but I don't hear or see many reports from that area, will be returning there every time we visit Blackpool at least4 times a year from now on.

Would love to see more reports on here for this area but if people haven't got the time or don't live near by then it's understandable

Blackpool and surrounding area visit 31st Aug 13

What a day at (Blackpool) Starr Gate & Lytham St Annes who said Blackpool was all about the Sand and Pleasure Beach.

Arrived around 11.45am on the coach (Greenline Coaches) and set about thinking what to do first go straight to Lytham or start from Starr Gate and walk round I decided to do the later, Got the tram (new ones these days, shame I used to love the old tatty ones) and got off at Starr Gate (£1.60 fare) walked around the outside of the Crazy Golf amusement (no one playing sign of things to come).

Arrived at the beach shortly after to find the whole of the beach to myself not a sole anywhere to be seen but there where 100’s of birds they were all over the place, the tide was retreating so had to walk carefully along the beach towards Lytham.

While walking along the beach be very careful as the sand looks solid but it gave way quite a few times and at one point even covered the tops of my walking boots, there are also some very deceiving pools of water they look very shallow but in reality they are very deep and you can easily get soaking wet feet here the beach is mainly flat but very windy today.

Did notice they also have Jellyfish on the beach but overall it’s a beautiful place to visit and walk now the old holiday camp as closed and looks to be going through some sort of demolition just before the old holiday camp is an area with an old building with a notice on saying Lytham St Anne’s Nature reserve this area could be great but very little to report from here also this area backs onto the Airport so good chances to get some photographs of aircraft from here.

SPECIES SEEN TODAYS –

ON ROUTE TO BLACKPOOL –

Carrion crow, Blackbird, Pied wagtail, Buzzard, Red legged partridge, Pheasant, Rook, Kestrel, Black headed gull, Jay, Robin & Starling

STARR GATE & LYTHAM ST ANNE’S BEACH –

Starling (75), Lesser black backed gull, Great black backed gull, Oystercatcher (9 at least 5 youngsters), Little gull (3 with a group of Black headed gulls), Artic tern (10), Black headed gull, Herring gull, Sandwich tern (5), Common gull, Sanderling (2 small flocks 14 & 18), Common tern (12), Knot (3) & Blackbird

LYTHAM ST ANNE’S NATURE RESERVE –

Black headed gull, Lesser black backed gull, Robin, Starling, Blue tit, Feral Pigeon, Blackcap & Wren

FROM SOUTH PIER TOWARDS TOWER –

Black headed gull, Lesser black backed gull, Oystercatcher, Feral pigeon, Starling, Common Scoter & Gannet

Blackpool and surrounding area visit 31st Aug 13

What a day at (Blackpool) Starr Gate & Lytham St Annes who said Blackpool was all about the Sand and Pleasure Beach.

Arrived around 11.45am on the coach (Greenline Coaches) and set about thinking what to do first go straight to Lytham or start from Starr Gate and walk round I decided to do the later, Got the tram (new ones these days, shame I used to love the old tatty ones) and got off at Starr Gate (£1.60 fare) walked around the outside of the Crazy Golf amusement (no one playing sign of things to come).

Arrived at the beach shortly after to find the whole of the beach to myself not a sole anywhere to be seen but there where 100’s of birds they were all over the place, the tide was retreating so had to walk carefully along the beach towards Lytham.

While walking along the beach be very careful as the sand looks solid but it gave way quite a few times and at one point even covered the tops of my walking boots, there are also some very deceiving pools of water they look very shallow but in reality they are very deep and you can easily get soaking wet feet here the beach is mainly flat but very windy today.

Did notice they also have Jellyfish on the beach but overall it’s a beautiful place to visit and walk now the old holiday camp as closed and looks to be going through some sort of demolition just before the old holiday camp is an area with an old building with a notice on saying Lytham St Anne’s Nature reserve this area could be great but very little to report from here also this area backs onto the Airport so good chances to get some photographs of aircraft from here.

SPECIES SEEN TODAYS –

ON ROUTE TO BLACKPOOL –

Carrion crow, Blackbird, Pied wagtail, Buzzard, Red legged partridge, Pheasant, Rook, Kestrel, Black headed gull, Jay, Robin & Starling

STARR GATE & LYTHAM ST ANNE’S BEACH –

Starling (75), Lesser black backed gull, Great black backed gull, Oystercatcher (9 at least 5 youngsters), Little gull (3 with a group of Black headed gulls), Artic tern (10), Black headed gull, Herring gull, Sandwich tern (5), Common gull, Sanderling (2 small flocks 14 & 18), Common tern (12), Knot (3) & Blackbird

LYTHAM ST ANNE’S NATURE RESERVE –

Black headed gull, Lesser black backed gull, Robin, Starling, Blue tit, Feral Pigeon, Blackcap & Wren

FROM SOUTH PIER TOWARDS TOWER –

Black headed gull, Lesser black backed gull, Oystercatcher, Feral pigeon, Starling, Common Scoter & Gannet

Some nice sightings there.
All the Blackpool bird (and other wildlife) news can be found here http://www.blackpool4me.com/Blackpool4Me/Learning/ClubsGroups/BEATNatureWatch/recentsightings.htm doesn't cover the dunes nature reserve but does cover the airport

Hi Lalows 2 many thanks for the info and link a very interesting web site and gives very good information out on what I think is a badly underrated area of the UK coast.

Again many thanks for the info

Adrian

Went to see the Blackpool illuminations 15 days ago from this Friday and whilst standing outside would hear the seep seep call constantly for every 10 seconds. A lot of Redwings on the move.

Just reporting that I watched a small penguin in the sea yesterday at high tide just South of the glitter ball, plus a sea lion noseying about. Unfortunately, I could not get any film or photo because I could not find it in my camera lens... though I kept spotting it with my bin's.

It was riding over some waves and disappearing with others, then diving under occasionally.

I put it on my Facebook and a friend said his daughters walked their dog that day on the beach? at St Annes and sadly there were 2 dead penguins washed up. :(

Anyway, on the Mere later, I watched a barn owl hunting. My film isn't really good enough to bother trying to add (barn owl)

Fieldfares, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, all the tits and common birds etc.

Just reporting that I watched a small penguin in the sea yesterday at high tide just South of the glitter ball, plus a sea lion noseying about. Unfortunately, I could not get any film or photo because I could not find it in my camera lens... though I kept spotting it with my bin's.

It was riding over some waves and disappearing with others, then diving under occasionally.

I put it on my Facebook and a friend said his daughters walked their dog that day on the beach? at St Annes and sadly there were 2 dead penguins washed up. :(

Anyway, on the Mere later, I watched a barn owl hunting. My film isn't really good enough to bother trying to add (barn owl)

Fieldfares, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, all the tits and common birds etc.

Surely you mean Puffin?:eek!::-O

Hello there!

I have just recently moved to Weeton. I'm totally new to the area I was wondering if anyone can help to find some good spots to go out? Would also like to establish a local patch nearby.

Cheers

John

Popped down to Martin Mere today for the first time. Really good spot i think! I've never heard or seen so many warblers in one place.

1 Grass Hopper Warbler, several reed warbler and cettis Warbler (all heard)

1 sedge Warbler

1pr Whinchat

3+prs Whitethroats

5+prs Reed Bunting

1 Greenfinch

Only 15 mins from me so I'll defo be popping back!

Geordie

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back