• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marton Mere, Stanley Park and surrounding area (1 Viewer)

Will try and remember to update this thread over the winter, when the Mere tends to be most popular.

There was a Ring-necked Parakeet in Stanley Park today, perhaps one of the ones seen elsewhere in North Blackpool recently.

Marton Mere comes into its own in winter and there are quite a few birds around at the moment.

- A couple of Long-eared Owls are roosting. There are weekly organised walks to view the roost.

- There have been a number of Iceland Gull sightings, with possibly two birds involved

- Cetti's Warblers continue to be heard regularly

This weekend other observations have included a Ruff and several hundred Pinkfeet and 10 Whooper Swans in the East Fields.

The absence of Bittern reports is surprising though given two have been seen in nearby Fleetwood.

Stephen

Where abouts in Fleetwood, Stephen. I understand if you don't want to post the location. Thanx.

Sorry Martyn I missed this at the time.

Presumably Fleetwood Marsh. They have only been reported on the 'Fleetwood Bird Observatory' website which deliberately avoids giving any specific locations for any birds.

In terms of Marton Mere the Iceland Gull continues to be seen, also hanging around the McDonalds and KFC on Preston New Road. There was also a Waxwing at the Mere today.

long eared owls at marton mere

hi i have seen these in the past but not been able to find them twice this year are there any tips on where they are i am not from the area so north west bridleway dosnt help.any help appriciated would love to see them again

hi i have seen these in the past but not been able to find them twice this year are there any tips on where they are i am not from the area so north west bridleway dosnt help.any help appriciated would love to see them again

Went on saturday and viewed them from the path on the reserve where it turns towards the container hide , if you face towards the main path and turn left about 45 degrees you should see some trees with yellowish lichen growing on the branches and scan around there you might just pick them up, if you go on google maps and put in Marton Mere the path is clearly defined on the north of the mere haf way across the top the path splits to form a small triangle if you can see that, this is where you stand roughly, good luck

Frank
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/6809185827/

Went on saturday and viewed them from the path on the reserve where it turns towards the container hide , if you face towards the main path and turn left about 45 degrees you should see some trees with yellowish lichen growing on the branches and scan around there you might just pick them up, if you go on google maps and put in Marton Mere the path is clearly defined on the north of the mere haf way across the top the path splits to form a small triangle if you can see that, this is where you stand roughly, good luck

Frank
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/6809185827/

I see you also connected with my favourite Purple Sandpipers Frank, nice one.

Stephen

Will be visiting Blackpool just for a day with the family but will be leaving them in the town while I pop off using the tram, so my question for now is where are the best places to sea watch and how far from the Pleasure Beach will they be.

Will be visiting Blackpool just for a day with the family but will be leaving them in the town while I pop off using the tram, so my question for now is where are the best places to sea watch and how far from the Pleasure Beach will they be.

The Fylde is about as straight a coastline as you will ever see so you can seawatch anywhere from Starr Gate (the south) to Rossall Point (the north).

There is a 'Lancashire Seawatching' group on Facebook with recent sightings, and the Fylde Bird Club sightings page is also useful.

If you want to let me know what day you are coming I could give further advice based on the tide times etc.

Stephen

many thanks for your help will update a few days before my visit again many thanks and where do they seawatch at starrgate from the tram stoop please

I seawatch from a shelter immediately behind the tram stop and tram depot. Others use a shelter a couple of hundred metres further north. Dave McGrath watches from the 'mirror ball' art installation, but probably only because his work office is across the road. It doesn't usually make a lot of odds to what you see.

Stephen

Many thanks for your help Most likely date for my visit will be 24th August arriving around about midday so any help and advice would be greatly received.

Last edited:
Have now got a date for my quick visit it will be Saturday 31st Aug arriving around midday and leaving at 6pm will be starting from the pleasure beach car park so any help would be great how long on the tram to Rossall point as I will be starting at Starr Gate hopefully

Hi all I will be visiting as above thread but would like your opinions on the following areas as to which will be the best for a quick visit please bear in mind that I will be using the trams to get around from one to the other list of locations now follows –

Starr Gate, Shard Bridge, Skippoll, Fluke Hall, Glasson Marsh, Condor Estuary/Condor Pool, Rossall Point & St Annes Beach

If anyone could do me the favour of saying how long each one is away from the Pleasure Beach car park I would be very grateful

Hi all I will be visiting as above thread but would like your opinions on the following areas as to which will be the best for a quick visit please bear in mind that I will be using the trams to get around from one to the other list of locations now follows –

Starr Gate, Shard Bridge, Skippoll, Fluke Hall, Glasson Marsh, Condor Estuary/Condor Pool, Rossall Point & St Annes Beach

If anyone could do me the favour of saying how long each one is away from the Pleasure Beach car park I would be very grateful

Shard, Skippool, Fluke, Glasson, Conder are not on the tram route. Fluke in particular would be a nightmare by public transport of any kind.

St Annes Beach is basically next to Starr Gate. So it is a choice between these two and Rossall.

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back