• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marton Mere, Stanley Park and surrounding area (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

Given there are a few people on here who regularly visit the Mere and neighbouring sites I thought it might be good to set up a separate thread like the Martin Mere one.

Today the Ring-Necked Duck apparently returned to Marton Mere having been elsewhere on the Fylde for the last couple of months. I didn't get to the Mere but did see 17 Whoopers north west over nearby Staining Nook, though rather surprisingly they changed course and headed north east.

There was a Firecrest reported in Stanley Park yesterday, this site and adjoining Woodland Gardens are worth a look for this species for the next month or so.

Stephen.

Hi Stephen,

I had a quick scan on the Mere tonight and saw Reed Buntings and a Woodpecker at the feeding hide? and walked to the first hide at the caravan side of the Mere and heard a Cettis? Warbler.

I'm clueless with warblers and most small birds, having not been watching for long.

At the next hide up, I spotted a Blackbird with more white on it than i've ever seen before.... a full white head and white feathers down its back too. I filmed it eating a worm, which highlights it's pink beak. I'm sure others will have seen this bird, or similar, but to me it was definitely the nearest I've seen to an albino??? How rare is this and have you or anyone else seen it?

Wayne

Edit to add: I've seen at least 6 Goldcrest and 1 Waxwing in the Woodland Gardens recently too. Good place for Treecreepers also, though I have yet to spot a Kingfisher and keep hoping to, as I've heard one was seen there a few weeks back?

Last edited:
Hi Wayne,

This occurs a bit in Blackbirds. I haven't seen the one at the Mere, I did see one about a month ago at the Spar garage on Collingwood Avenue (?) which sounds very much like yours. Sometimes they can look a bit like Ring Ouzels if the white is on the chest.

Regards,

Stephen.

Last edited:
Edit to add: I've seen at least 6 Goldcrest and 1 Waxwing in the Woodland Gardens recently too. Good place for Treecreepers also, though I have yet to spot a Kingfisher and keep hoping to, as I've heard one was seen there a few weeks back?

Jonny S and others saw circa 20 Goldcrests in the park but I don't recall anyone reporting a Waxwing in Woodland Gardens. Do you have a date for that one Wayne?

All the best,

Stephen

The white headed blackbird has been around the mere for a number of years now, usually in the brambles next to the caravan park just west of the fylde bird club hide

The Reed Buntings seem to be pushing south out of Lawson's Wetland aswell as had 2 in my garden the past 2 weekends. Got photos which will add later, they are possibly visiting daily as the wife is seeing them occasionally while I am at work.

The Reed Buntings seem to be pushing south out of Lawson's Wetland aswell as had 2 in my garden the past 2 weekends. Got photos which will add later, they are possibly visiting daily as the wife is seeing them occasionally while I am at work.

Had them in my garden as well but only in hard weather.

The amorous Ring Necked Duck appears to have followed his Pochard love interest to Seaforth. He's clearly keen...

17 Sand Martin, 3 signing Cetti's, several Goldeneye and c14 Barnacle Geese tonight. No Bitterns flying round at dusk so maybe they (it?) have left.

Stephen

45 mins at Stanley Park this lunchtime produced sightings of 3 x GS Woodpeckers, 2 x Chiffchaffs, 1x GC Grebe & 1 x Treecreeper.

After seeing numerous Goldcrest on the "Firecrest" day (22/03) I didn't see any today - were they just passing through?

Oh - & sighting of the lunchbreak - a Weasel :)

I've attached a couple of shots from today & the 22nd, none of them very good.

Cliff

Attachments

• chiffchaff_220311a.jpg
    chiffchaff_220311a.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 114
  • chiffchaff_250311b.jpg
    chiffchaff_250311b.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 106
  • goldcrest_220311a.jpg
    goldcrest_220311a.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 100
  • wren_250311c.jpg
    wren_250311c.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 94
  • wren_250311h.jpg
    wren_250311h.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 108
45 mins at Stanley Park this lunchtime produced sightings of 3 x GS Woodpeckers, 2 x Chiffchaffs, 1x GC Grebe & 1 x Treecreeper.

After seeing numerous Goldcrest on the "Firecrest" day (22/03) I didn't see any today - were they just passing through?

Oh - & sighting of the lunchbreak - a Weasel :)

I've attached a couple of shots from today & the 22nd, none of them very good.

Cliff

Nice shots Cliff. I think from a post in another thread Jonny had a Jack Snipe at the Mere. The only site in the area I covered today was MYthop Grange, where there were quite a few Teal.

Stephen

Nice shots Cliff. I think from a post in another thread Jonny had a Jack Snipe at the Mere. The only site in the area I covered today was MYthop Grange, where there were quite a few Teal.

Stephen

Yes I did have a Jack Snipe today at the mere, my first one there o:D Paul Ellis picked it up on the back of the scrape bobbing up and down in its characteristic manor, before it moved into the reeds and was harder to see, also 2 Common snipe with it on the scrape. 8 Sand Martins appeared over the east end in the evening, my first of the year, and several Chiffchaffs singing.

Seems to have been a bit of an influx of Gadwall at the Mere - 7 today including five drakes. Three Cetti's Warblers singing but no Snipe on the scrape.

Stephen

I went to Stanley Park today and managed to see Goldcrests, Nuthatch and Treecreeper plus the usual suspects. Also noticed an RSPB presence near the heronry. It seemed popular with the visitors.

Attachments

• Treecreeper 4.jpg
    Treecreeper 4.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 99
  • Grebe, great crested - pair.jpg
    Grebe, great crested - pair.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 103
  • Robin peeping.jpg
    Robin peeping.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 91
  • Tit, blue.jpg
    Tit, blue.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 102
I went to Stanley Park today and managed to see Goldcrests, Nuthatch and Treecreeper plus the usual suspects. Also noticed an RSPB presence near the heronry. It seemed popular with the visitors.

Nice shots Martyn.

There was a Treecreeper in Woodland Gardens too, also a singing Blackcap and a few Goldcrests.

At the Mere 3 Cetti's Warblers singing again. Only saw one Gadwall. A Sparrowhawk hunted towards Kipling Drive.

Stephen.

How far is Stanley Park from Blackpool's Golden Mile,I might leave the kids at Pleasureland with my wife and go and see the Heronry if it's not too far.;)

How far is Stanley Park from Blackpool's Golden Mile,I might leave the kids at Pleasureland with my wife and go and see the Heronry if it's not too far.;)

About a mile from the north end of the Golden Mile, perhaps two or three from the Pleasure Beach.

Alternatively, literally just across the road from the zoo.

Stephen

Is there a bigger presence of Great Crested Grebes on Stanley Park this year? I was there on Saturday and am sure there was more than there has been in the past at least 5 pairs.

Wonderful views of Treecreeper over the first bridge hanging from the trees but damn auto focus was not doing me any favours!!!

Nice shots Martyn.

There was a Treecreeper in Woodland Gardens too, also a singing Blackcap and a few Goldcrests.

At the Mere 3 Cetti's Warblers singing again. Only saw one Gadwall. A Sparrowhawk hunted towards Kipling Drive.

Stephen.

Thanx, Stephen. I spent far too long on the park so didn't bother going to the mere.

Is the kingfisher in the Woodlands Gardens a myth ? I've been told a few times that there was one here last week but I've yet to meet anyone who's actually seen it.

More migrants around the mere this evening including my first Willow Warbler of the year in the weeping willow to the left of the viewing platform at the west end. At least 25 Sand Martins seen (flocks of 1,8,8 and 20+ but not sure if any of these were duplicated) along with plenty of Chiffchaffs singing (at least 5). 3 Cetti's Warblers still singing and a pair of Buzzards that flew over the mere a couple of times, briefly tricking me into thinking they were ospreys on both occasions!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back