• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding in and around Liverpool (2 Viewers)

Crosby Marina there used to be a reserve there btu it's now closed to the public.

Hiya,

on the Liverpool RSPB site there is info about the Seaforth Docks Reserve (is this the same one you are thinking of when you mention Crosby Marina?)...

http://www.rspbliverpool.org.uk/crosby.htm

...I phoned the number (about halfway down the page on the link) and spoke to Steve White, the County Recorder, just today. He said that the reserve is generally closed to the public, but individuals and groups can still visit if arrangements are made 7 days in advance. So I'll be arranging to go asap.

I'm fairly new to birding with a cheap pair of 10x50 bins, currently saving for a budget scope set-up (still going to set me back just over £500!), but I have found so many sites locally which appear to be wonderful for birding... my local park, Newsham Park, has resident Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Grey Herons, a Great Crested Grebe dropped in recently for a few weeks, along with many others. I also like Hilbre Island/Dee Estuary, Freshfield Pinewoods, Formby Point (saw a pair of Willow Warblers by the pond there), Sefton coastline from Waterloo up to Hightown/Alt Estuary, Martin Mere, Mere Sands... not yet been to Marshside, but I am planning on going this Sunday.

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Seaforth needs to be a bit more spontaneous than that in general, don't you think? You can peer through the fence, feel very hard done by, but usually see anything rare that's turned up. The current system stinks, and whereas I'm sure the birders who administer it do their best it really ought to nark - I'm glad they allow you in at seven days notice, but are you going alone? I've always been told I'm not allowed on my own as I might be a terrorist! Utter crap. So I prefer to peer through the fence and feel hard done by - tick and rush at Seaforth, to somewhere far more salubriuous! Shame, it could be so much better.

Marshside is the gem round here - no elitist fences, no admission fees, and a huge variety of habitat. Don't stick to the hides or you'll miss most of the point of the place. And do say hi, if you see any altruistic humanist omnivores, if you can bear to!

Hiya SiG,

I'm not at all keen on the whole idea of getting permission to be allowed to visit a reserve and it goes against my ideals, but that's 'Big Brother' for you. I am planning on going on my own as I don't know anyone else locally yet that is into birding. Steve White said to give him a call and he would give me an idea of what to look out for when I get there.

I just got back from a great evening birding along the flats from Hall Road to Hightown/Alt Estuary and got 3 (possibly 4) more ticks... Shag x2, Sanderling x15-ish, Black-Tailed Godwit x30 or more ...possible 4th being female Bar-Tailed Godwit, but not sure whether or not I was hallucinating, ha ha! Plus the usual Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Curlew, Redshank, Great Black-Backed Gull (and juvenile), Swallows, Grey Heron, Black-Headed Gulls, Lapwing, Shelduck, Oystercatchers, Stonechats, etc.

Lisa

Last edited:
Hi Lisa,

Do tell Steve White about the 2 shags, that's a great record for this part of the world. And there's every chance of it being a Barwit if it on the shoreline.

I've just come back from that way myself, but on the train from town - barn owl over the meadows between Hall Rd and Hightown was good.

Hiya SiG,

I gave Steve White a ring about the 2x Shag I saw and he seemed happy. I didn't realise that they were not so common around these parts.

Lisa

Last edited:
sig what time did you spot the barn owl
i am stilll after a decent photo trouble is they seem to show as the light is going
best effort so far

Attachments

• owl.jpg
    owl.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 221
Around 9pm.

Nearly always see one in the 15 mins after the sun sets at the Crossens end of Marshside too, and on a good day up to half an hour before as well, when the light is better.

Martin Mere...

Hiya,

I have been to Martin Mere today (and last Tuesday) on a course/guided birding days with Andy Bunting. I found it really helpful, being new to it all, to get some guidance in the field viewing and identifying birds from someone with a lot more experience. It has helped me understand a little more what to look for in plumage, behaviours, calls, etc., which I had read about but it hadn't quite clicked until I saw it in front of me. I also found many birders at Marshide more than willing to answer my silly questions too! Ha ha!

I saw my first Barn Owl today from the Ron somebody hide (I can't remember the surname... is that terribly disrespectful?) during daylight which was awesome. I had heard owls in the past but never seen one and the brief view we had was spectacular. Also had very good close views of a Marsh Harrier...

Marsh Harrier
Barn Owl
Treecreeper
Reed Warbler, apparently, too quick for me to view in bins
Common Buzzard
Pintail
Teal
Snipe
Green Sandpiper
Common Sandpiper
Kestrel
Ruff
Black-Tailed Godwit
Common Gull
Pheasant (male and female)
Lapwing
Wigeon
...and the regulars too.

Lisa

Sefton PArk and Greenbank

Hi everyone,
I'm intrigued by the various Sefton Park sightings as the most exotic birds I've seen there have been blue tits and great tits (hey, they may be common but at least they're more colourful than the magpies and crows) - where's the best place in the park to see Jays, Nuthatches and Treecreepers?
Also, has anyone had any unusual sightings following the draining of the lake? (For non-locals, the park is currently being 'improved' by lopping down a lot of established trees and draining the lakes http://liverpoolrspb.blogspot.com/).
I went there last week and saw a grey wagtail, which is a first for me, then stopped by Greenbank Park, which is much smaller but has a non-drained pond, so I thought it might get the refugees from Sefton. And there was a cormorant, which surveyed the lake for five minutes or so before departing, which was quite a sight for one of Liverpool's smaller parks.
Oh, and I'm sure I've heard a tawny owl in Sefton, and any hints as to where best to see it would be gratefully received!

Have been out of touch with birding for a few months due to work and life in general, but trying to find time...

...amongst the usual suspects, saw a few Grey Plover at Hall Road on the mud (low tide) by the coastguard station this evening... about 7 or 8 in total, some in summer plumage and others moulting into summer plumage...

...also Barn Owl over golf course/fields by coastguard station about 8.30pm.

Lisa x

hi all. I am normally rather quiet on here. I dont really get much chance to get on. But as I am from Liverpool, and I go out birding whenever I can, I thought you lot might like to add a couple of areasto your local lists.

Hale circular. i.e Hale village from the Childe of Hale pub, through the park and woodland to the shore, then left past the light house to Within way, then left and back into the village will keep you busy for a an afternoon.

Buzzard, curlew, goldfinch, shelduck, mallard, teal etc are the usual suspects I expect to come across, but I often get stonechat, ringed plover, bar tailed godwitt, peregrine, widgeon etc. Late evening can produce barn owl, short eared owl (on the final leg looking across to the decoy), and I have even had Ross's goose for several days a couple of years ago!

If anyone would like to meet up in the village over the winter I would be happy to show them the route I take.

Another regular for me is my back garden! I currently have flocks of goldfinch (30-40+) coming into my feeders, not more than ten feet from my back door, in full site of me. I live in a new estate off east prescot road, so not exactly countryside. If you are within reach of any of the parks, get feeding! I only feed niger and sunflower hearts. Dont feel there is any need for anything else.

Anyway, good luck this winter. I am just sorting out which of the big tides I will chasing along the Welsh coast from the Spinnies to Colwyn Bay...now thats a good day out, and another story...

i have been trying to get goldfinches for ages now but no joy
get everything else i only live a couple of miles from you as well

i have been trying to get goldfinches for ages now but no joy
get everything else i only live a couple of miles from you as well

Today...40+ goldfinch, blue tit, great tit, dunnock, robin, wren, blackbird, crow, jackdaw, greenfinch, collard dove, a sparrowhawk twice, and a heron overhead. All while I washed the dishes and made my lunch!

Mav, I put up a niger feeder summer of 2003 and didn't see the first goldfinch on it til late the following spring (although I did get a single redpoll on it the day after a dramatic storm in January 04!) ... now I get dozens. It takes some time for them to find it, and probably out of season for naturally occuring thistle seeds, etc.

If you've nowt better to do today there are 3 cattle egrets on Downholland Moss at present (or were 15 mins ago ...)

Mav, I put up a niger feeder summer of 2003 and didn't see the first goldfinch on it til late the following spring (although I did get a single redpoll on it the day after a dramatic storm in January 04!) ... now I get dozens. It takes some time for them to find it, and probably out of season for naturally occuring thistle seeds, etc.

If you've nowt better to do today there are 3 cattle egrets on Downholland Moss at present (or were 15 mins ago ...)

As far as you know are the cattle egrets still there? I might have a spare couple of hours tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back