• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

birding in and around Liverpool (1 Viewer)

nodd

Neil
i have posted this thred in the local patch forum then i found this one so i put here as well just in case :) hi all having just moved to liverpool i am look for birding sites in and around the area i have been to formby point and maritn mere and have hade a great time at bot. could any one recomend any other places i could go too

There's Marshside (Southport) which is just up the coast from you or even closer to home there's Crosby Marina there used to be a reserve there btu it's now closed to the public. If you want to go further afield you could try Wigan Flashes or Pennington Flash. While you were at Martin Mere you could have visited Mere Sands reserve which is only 1 mile from Martin Mere.

Johnny1 said:
There's Marshside (Southport) which is just up the coast from you or even closer to home there's Crosby Marina there used to be a reserve there btu it's now closed to the public. If you want to go further afield you could try Wigan Flashes or Pennington Flash. While you were at Martin Mere you could have visited Mere Sands reserve which is only 1 mile from Martin Mere.

thanks for that Johnny1 for that info :t:

marbury country park cheshire about 27 miles from liverpool
moore nature reserve although i havent ben there as yet

Lunt / Sefton Meadows

The Mosses - Downholland, Plex, Halsall, Formby etc

In Liverpool: Sefton Park for Kingfisher, Jay, GSW, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, warblers

LOADS of places on the Wirral ...

There's stacks of info on Merseyside on these boards if you hunt around. The search function is useful. As are Merseybirdblog and Crosby Birding websites.

In and around the landscaped oriental garden that goes under the decorative wrought iron bridge on Mossley Hill Drive that you can no longer drive over. Most people who went looking for it in January this year found it, including several on these boards. I don't know of anyone who's been in recent weeks but it's definitely worth a look.

I've heard about the Kingfisher at Sefton for years, seems to be an occasional/regular winter visitor.

Additionally to that list, depending on where you live any of the parks are good local patch material - the quieter the better naturally. I play a lot of golf and combine it with birdwatching on Allerton Golf course.

Childwall Woods is also a nice site which has breeding Bullfinches nearby, plus other decent records there such as Reed Bunting and regular spring Grasshopper and Sedge Warblers in the meadow area.

Which area of Liverpool have you moved to?

Ben Dickinson said:
I've heard about the Kingfisher at Sefton for years, seems to be an occasional/regular winter visitor.

Additionally to that list, depending on where you live any of the parks are good local patch material - the quieter the better naturally. I play a lot of golf and combine it with birdwatching on Allerton Golf course.

Childwall Woods is also a nice site which has breeding Bullfinches nearby, plus other decent records there such as Reed Bunting and regular spring Grasshopper and Sedge Warblers in the meadow area.

Which area of Liverpool have you moved to?

Hi Ben
I live in the norris green area i went to Croxteh park the other day and had good views of nuthatch and treecreeper.

i have heard theres a spot between altcourse prison and fazakerly hospital that has some bird life i havent been for a look yet

I've had kingfisher at Croxteth Country Park on more than a few ocassion.

Sig is quite right in his posts about the Mosses...... Plex moss in particular for ALL english owls.

Mere Sands (LTNC reserve).... is always a good site, espacially after a few hours at Martin mere...... ends the day really well.

A trip down to the LTNC reserve at Seaforth is always good for all sorts of waders, gulls & meadow birds etc

i have heard theres a spot between altcourse prison and fazakerly hospital that has some bird life i havent been for a look yet
I advise you check that site out, I went there around 3 years ago, the tiny wood there had red squirrels and the scrubland around Fazakerley itself held Spotted Flycatcher and Lesser Whitethroat, amongst other things. There's also a site near the cemetery which has Alexandrine Parakeets, though didn't see em on that occasion. It's a shame it's a bugger to get to for me or I'd have been there again since...

whereabout in croxteth park have you seen kingfishers mal i only live 5 mins away tend not to go there a lot
will check out fazakerly site soon only 10 mins away
spotted a kingfisher at mere sands twicw now and had a quick glimpse of a barn owl last night
hoping to get back first light tommorrow to try and see it again

I'm sorry to ask a non-bird question, but it's linked to this thread...

We're thinking of buying a house in Liverpool, but we don't know the best areas or the areas to avoid. Would someone be kind enough to give us some clues? We can tell from the house prices, but they don't always tell the whole story. Again, sorry for asking a non-bird question, but we could do with as much information as possible before buying.

We live in Warrington and I've found Pennington Flash is always worth a visit. Moore Nature Reserve (near Walton Gardens) isn't bad, I've not seen many rarities there when I've been though. I've always found Risley Moss disappointing, probably because I've never seen anything from the tower. Houghton Green Flash is pleasant and tends to get birds passing through, e.g. black-necked grebes. Those are the main places near Warrington.

The other week I was in Sefton Park and noticed a nesting Great Crested Grebe which was great too see.

2520 years look at buying a house in South Liverpool if you can.

i have posted this thred in the local patch forum then i found this one so i put here as well just in case :) hi all having just moved to liverpool i am look for birding sites in and around the area i have been to formby point and maritn mere and have hade a great time at bot. could any one recomend any other places i could go too

Crosby Marina gets loads of good stuff especially at migration time, and it's well worth a sea watch from there too (you won't find many better places in the UK for Leach's Petrel).

The mosslands inland of Southport are also good (around Downholland, Halsall, Great Altcar, Rainford etc.).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back