• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello! (1 Viewer)

ColleenK

South Africa
Hi. I am an occasional birder from South Africa. Travelling to Europe in May, will be spending most of my time in the Julyan Alps in Slovenia. Any advice with regards to a good reference book for the area? I do have the Merlin app and downloaded the birdpack already. I also have one free day -our base town is Radovljica. Any advice on good areas to bird or if there are any English speaking bird guides around I could hire for a couple of hours to take me around?

Hi Colleen and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. You could have a look in our Opus section for places in Slovenia to visit. While we do not have any particular articles on the country, there are many images in the Gallery which you might like to browse through for species and areas to go to. You can access the pictures at the bottom of this page: Category:Slovenia - BirdForum Opus

I'll leave others to advise you on a field guide for the area. Collins is the one usually recommended for Europe, but it might not be the best choice for you as it covers the whole of Europe and rare visitors as well. You may well get more help by posting in the Information Wanted forum, as it will be seen by more of our members/

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Colleen and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. Opus is definitely a big help, especially for a new area. You might also try posting in this area of the forum:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back