• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Zeiss Victory 7x42 FL with LT or the Victory 8x42 HT? (1 Viewer)

With my 7x42FL I look through the centre of the image and don’t look around the image too much or too far, the major criticism of FL’s has always been the edge sharpness, but as I don’t focus my eyes on the edges it doesn’t concern me - the central view however is beautiful and if you let the rest of the image be the periphery then the image quality has to be up there with top modern optics, the AK prisms likely give a nice boost.

Essex Tern,

I agree, edge sharpness be hanged! The FL 7x42 larger than typical 450 FOV and reasonable close focus is really useful for observing faster moving butterflies and dragon flies when our feathered friends are coy.

Mike

I have the HT 8x42.
I bought it as an all rounder, instead of having an 8x32 AND a low light bino aswell.
It is stunning. Not sharp to the very edges, but I never understood all that.... we centre the binos on the subject.
They are super bright, last of the top line Zeiss AK's and will always hold a good market for that alone.
I have no intention of moving these on.... they are sublime, and the build is truly top notch too.
The view is all I could wish for.... amazing clarity, and some 3D effect.
It's almost an assault on the senses looking through them sometimes!!!
A bit heavy, but so are most binos bigger than the pockets. But it gives them great handling and feel... I like that.

However.... your SLC's are also superb.
Both are classic, curved field, old school, top of the tree optics.

Last edited:
it looks like the 8x42 HT are 27.6 ounces - is that heavy for a 42mm binocular? Many of the current top 42mm binos are the same weight or heavier.

TFL 7x42 has distinctive mint hue. while HT have bit bluish green tint but much better colorfidelity.
so it's color fidelity difference is the main issue.
(CA will be much better in TFL)

but desides that, since TFL was the best 7x42 at the market including 7x42 UV) it is worth a purchase.
but for me, I'll prefer HT 8x42's color fidelity.

pincusion distortion and edge blurriness is bit better in HT but not much, HT 8x42 also is very far from flat bino.
since TFL 7x42 have more real FOV, the pincusion distortion will be likely to more to distinguish in real sight.

I have the HT 8x42.
I bought it as an all rounder, instead of having an 8x32 AND a low light bino aswell.
It is stunning. Not sharp to the very edges, but I never understood all that.... we centre the binos on the subject.
They are super bright, last of the top line Zeiss AK's and will always hold a good market for that alone.
I have no intention of moving these on.... they are sublime, and the build is truly top notch too.
The view is all I could wish for.... amazing clarity, and some 3D effect.
It's almost an assault on the senses looking through them sometimes!!!
A bit heavy, but so are most binos bigger than the pockets. But it gives them great handling and feel... I like that.

However.... your SLC's are also superb.
Both are classic, curved field, old school, top of the tree optics.
If im not mistaken you also had the Zeiss FL 8x56, if so how would you compare the two? HT and FL.

If im not mistaken you also had the Zeiss FL 8x56, if so how would you compare the two? HT and FL.
Yes I did.
I was blown away by the 8x56 FL's but found them too big overall.
Optically, they are superb if you don't need sharp to the edges, and I don't.
I love the FL composite build, it has stood the test of time.
The time gap between the two, is too long for a direct and accurate comparison.
I found both to be tack sharp, quite crystalline, clear and what I would call a 'quality' view. Typical AK.
I feel that if i had owned FL's in 8x42 instead of the 56's, I would probably have kept them.
My friend has a late 8x42FL, and we often compare.
I actually prefer the FL as a binocular, but the HT is a small notch above for optical quality.
Both are superb, not flat field as we know, but I like the 'old school' optics. I don't feel the need for flat view sharp to the edge optics.
I loved my 8x32 BN's too.... same sort of old view.

it looks like the 8x42 HT are 27.6 ounces - is that heavy for a 42mm binocular? Many of the current top 42mm binos are the same weight or heavier.
My HT's weigh 884g... which is 31.8 ounces.
Not overly heavy, but there's always a pay off for quality and AK prisms.
I am more than happy to accept that.
Helps with a steady view... My Meoptas were also heavy, and steady.
No probs.

Mmmmm
I see no noticeable difference between my 8x42HT's and my mates 8x42FL's where CA is concerned.
I would consider both to be excellent in this regard, and certainly no reason for concern.
I'm also regarding the issue that FL is 7x42 which more easy to control CA then 8 power

I got one of the last 7x42FL’s brand new and have never seen any reason to look for a replacement binocular since - I am sensitive to certain optical effects but find them very natural - we all see things differently however.
I’m curious, can you expand a little on “sensitive to certain optical effects”?

Rg548,

Agree I love the composite build of the FL. For me -- personal preference and highly individual of course -- the composite build results in a very nice weight to size ratio. I bought a well used FL 7x42 @ 6 or 7 years ago with a fair degree of cosmetic wear on the body from honest use but pristine lenses and like new mechanical function for @ $800 before they became more scarce on the used market.

While I will be chided by many for this, I love looking AT them as well as through them. They have what strikes me as that classic British "stodgy" yet somehow still elegant look to them.

I have the HT 8x42... (snip) ...The view is all I could wish for.... amazing clarity, and some 3D effect.

I have never tried an HT but something about the way the FL handles an image when looking into an an area which encompasses both bright light and shadows results in a 3D image effect to me as well, even in the 10x32 which does not have AK prisms.

Mike

I’m curious, can you expand a little on “sensitive to certain optical effects”?
I haven’t tested many binoculars since buying my FL’s but I can easily see and won’t put up with chromatic aberration or yellow colour casts. I wear glasses and find it unbearable if they don’t have anti reflective coatings. And finally I have had laser iridotomy surgery and can detect the extra entrance pupils I now have, so am certainly alert to stray light. I find the 7x42FL’s natural viewing for my eyes and can’t detect anything that annoys my eyes if that all makes sense.

Yes I did.
I was blown away by the 8x56 FL's but found them too big overall.
Optically, they are superb if you don't need sharp to the edges, and I don't.
The time gap between the two, is too long for a direct and accurate comparison.
I found both to be tack sharp, quite crystalline, clear and what I would call a 'quality' view. Typical AK.
I feel that if i had owned FL's in 8x42 instead of the 56's, I would probably have kept them.
My friend has a late 8x42FL, and we often compare.
I actually prefer the FL as a binocular, but the HT is a small notch above for optical quality.
Both are superb, not flat field as we know, but I like the 'old school' optics. I don't feel the need for flat view sharp to the edge optics.
I loved my 8x32 BN's too.... same sort of old view.
Thanks. Yes, they are on the big site, i have both FL 7x42 and 8x56 if i go for a long walk in the forest i take the smaller.
I love the view through both but I didn’t get to thoroughly test the big one outside in the field. Hopefully i get a chance end of the summer in Sweden. The quality and feel are both superb. Actually im at the lookout for a 10x56 as well. I had a 8x32 as well but gave it away to very good friends last year who travelled with it to South Asia and liked it a lot. I liked my Leica 8x32 a tad better for the -IMO- better contrast.

Rg548,

Agree I love the composite build of the FL. For me -- personal preference and highly individual of course -- the composite build results in a very nice weight to size ratio. I bought a well used FL 7x42 @ 6 or 7 years ago with a fair degree of cosmetic wear on the body from honest use but pristine lenses and like new mechanical function for @ $800 before they became more scarce on the used market.

While I will be chided by many for this, I love looking AT them as well as through them. They have what strikes me as that classic British "stodgy" yet somehow still elegant look to them.

I have never tried an HT but something about the way the FL handles an image when looking into an an area which encompasses both bright light and shadows results in a 3D image effect to me as well, even in the 10x32 which does not have AK prisms.

Mike
I also like to look AT them, for some reason i get the same feeling with the Habicht’s GA and Leica BN’s.

I couldn't resist.....and the Chief of Staff was at the hairdressers.............

Conquest HD 8x42's 'open box' on EBay UK from a Zeiss dealer in Cardiff and the only difference 'twixt a new pair was about £300.

They are lovely, the rubber armour is susceptible to dust but they are built like a brick ****house.

Sharp edge to edge, a smidgen of CA but easily sorted by eye placement and not a bit of glare on this most sunny of sunny days in Mid-Wales.

Not FL or SFL's but very, very nice.

Just waiting for a pair of Trinovid HD 8x32's to arrive next week after taking advantage of the £100 trade in bonus.

Happy days.
P1003793.jpg

Last edited:
I could't resist.....and the Chief of Staff was at the hairdressers.............

Conquest HD 8x42's 'open box' on EBay UK from a Zeiss dealer in Cardiff and the only difference 'twixt a new pair was about £300.

They are lovely, the rubber armour is susceptible to dust but they are built like a brick ****house.

Sharp edge to edge, a smidgen of CA but easily sorted by eye placement and not a bit of glare on this most sunny of sunny days in Mid-Wales.

Just waiting for a pair of Trinovid HD 8x32's to arrive next week after taking advantage of the £100 trade in bonus.

Happy days.
View attachment 1591785
"I could't resist.....and the Chief of Staff was at the hairdressers............." 😅🤣

I haven’t tested many binoculars since buying my FL’s but I can easily see and won’t put up with chromatic aberration or yellow colour casts. I wear glasses and find it unbearable if they don’t have anti reflective coatings. And finally I have had laser iridotomy surgery and can detect the extra entrance pupils I now have, so am certainly alert to stray light. I find the 7x42FL’s natural viewing for my eyes and can’t detect anything that annoys my eyes if that all makes sense.
Yes, it does.

Thank you

I couldn't resist.....and the Chief of Staff was at the hairdressers.............

Happy days.
View attachment 1591785
Always said.... the only binocular you ever need. Superb all rounders, and you can play baseball with them when your bored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back