• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatear Breeding Habits (1 Viewer)

PaulCountyDurham

United Kingdom
'Any experts out there who can comment on whether or nor Wheatear breed in farmland areas nearer to the coast than uplands, particularly in County Durham? I appreciate that once upon a time this was a farmland bird but is it still the case?

Wheatear have been in this farmland/closer to the coast than uplands location for three weeks that I'm aware of (I initially saw a mixed flock of male and female). I keep thinking they've gone when I don't see them for a couple of days, and then they pop up again like they did today. It's a big area and so they could be dotted around in various places, meaning that's why I don't see them for a couple of days, but today I saw a mix of male and female in one part, at least eight of them, and when I walked to another part a flock of at least eight females with another couple hopping about over the brow although they were too far away to tell the sex. I suppose these could be different flocks passing through on their way to upland areas.

Is it out of the question that these birds are breeding on my doorstep and away from upland areas?

I suspect they're just taking their time - as far as I know they don't breed down here (North Kent coast) but on passage they can hang around for almost a month before disappearing.

I suspect they're just taking their time - as far as I know they don't breed down here (North Kent coast) but on passage they can hang around for almost a month before disappearing.

That's what I suspected but kept a bit of probably misplaced optimism.

I did have a look at a map of Wheatear breeding distribution and there is a small population on the North East coast. It's not clear from the map where exactly, i.e Yorkshire or Durham. Also, I had a look 'round at other counties and apparently there is a small breeding population in Sussex. I thought that if it happens in Sussex, then farmland in County Durham away from uplands is a possibility, given that the bird thrived in farmland habitat once over.

'Time will tell I suppose as I'll be having a look 'round every now and again to see if they are still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back