• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp ID? (Holme Fen, UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All

This is the last one from last autumn.

10 images of varying quality (straight out of the camera) but hopefully showing diagnostic information.

Could someone please take a look and see if it is possible to ID?

Thanks, Gareth

Attachments

• Wsp1.jpg
    Wsp1.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 5
  • Wsp2.jpg
    Wsp2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Wsp3.jpg
    Wsp3.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Wsp4.jpg
    Wsp4.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Wsp5.jpg
    Wsp5.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Wsp6.jpg
    Wsp6.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 4
Hi, Gareth. A bit of a wild guess.... maybe a, Field digger wasp (Mellinus arvensis)?
Thanks for the suggestion Harrybongo. I see 5 yellow stripes on the abdomen and only 4 on the Mellinus arvensis. Also, the yellow bar at the base of the thorax looks longer on my photos.

Mind you, I haven't found anything else.......

Thanks for the suggestion Harrybongo. I see 5 yellow stripes on the abdomen and only 4 on the Mellinus arvensis. Also, the yellow bar at the base of the thorax looks longer on my photos.

Mind you, I haven't found anything else.......
Hi. How did I miss that?!! 😲😂. I'll have to learn how to count, Gareth!!.......... That would help things!!! 😂

Hi, Gareth. Try these two, Ectemnius cavifrons/cephalotes? they look pretty close....... and they've got 5 yellow stripes! 😂

Last edited:
Hi, Gareth. Try these two, Ectemnius cavifrons/cephalotes? they look pretty close....... and they've got 5 yellow stripes! 😂
Thanks. I have been looking at both of these on Steven Falk's Flickr account. They look pretty good to me but what do I know? I need a idiot key - if things were that easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back