• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Vanishing Act! (1 Viewer)

Torchepot

United Kingdom
Happy New Year and Good Birding to one and all.

Maybe someone here can solve a mystery for me. A couple of nights ago I went out with my binoculars and tripod to see if there was any distortion noticeable when looking at a single distant star (reassuringly they appear as they should - I think).

I happened to notice the Pleiades high in the sky (without using the binoculars) but when I looked directly at it it disappeared - all I could see was a faint blur.

By looking away in any direction by about 10-20 degrees the little constellation reappeared. This was the same using either eye (or both). I was a bit worried, thinking that this might be further evidence of advancing decrepitude, but my wife experienced exactly the same thing and her eyes are much sharper and a fair bit younger than mine.

We tried it again tonight with the same result - as you can see we have a pretty wild New Year's Eve out here in rural France ;)

Anyone have any idea what's happening?

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Phil,
It is called averted vision that all astronomers use automatically.
You can gain about 2 magnitudes or 6 times.
There are particular areas of vision that produce the best results for limiting observations.
I regularly saw M33 with unaided eyes using it but only once with direct vision on La Palma near the professional scopes.
I have pretty good faint vision.

Just had some wonderful fireworks next door. Seems like just for me.

Happy New Year.

Happy New Year Binastro,

A strange phenomena that I wasn't aware of - the idea of looking away from something in order to see it! The dark adaption stuff is pretty interesting too.

No fireworks here - not even a single, solitary sparkler. Everyone was tucked up in bed with shutters drawn and lights out by 9.30!!

Cheers,

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back