• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sunflower hearts! (1 Viewer)

BeeJay2

Hi all,

I've always fed our garden birds with Sunflower Hearts which are supposed to be and state to be, husk free, but when they are feeding, the husks are plainly being removed.
I have 6 large feeders & I've made & attached to each one a devise to catch the husks, which are always also mixed with uneaten seeds. If the "waste" was allowed to simply fall to the ground I'd be inundated with pigeons etc. I've taken this up with various suppliers, but all say the same, ie "No-one else has complained" shades of the POST OFFICE or what?
I'd be interested if others have this issue. It's now a case of, if a lot of seeds are mixed in with the husks when I empty the catchment devices, instead of simply emptying them away, I mix it in with the new seeds barrel. If all suppliers of Sunflower Hearts are of the same quality/problem I don't see a solution. Answers on a postcard!

Hi all,

I've always fed our garden birds with Sunflower Hearts which are supposed to be and state to be, husk free, but when they are feeding, the husks are plainly being removed.
I have 6 large feeders & I've made & attached to each one a devise to catch the husks, which are always also mixed with uneaten seeds. If the "waste" was allowed to simply fall to the ground I'd be inundated with pigeons etc. I've taken this up with various suppliers, but all say the same, ie "No-one else has complained" shades of the POST OFFICE or what?
I'd be interested if others have this issue. It's now a case of, if a lot of seeds are mixed in with the husks when I empty the catchment devices, instead of simply emptying them away, I mix it in with the new seeds barrel. If all suppliers of Sunflower Hearts are of the same quality/problem I don't see a solution. Answers on a postcard!
Never had an issue with good quality sunflower hearts ( bakers standard ) from my local animal feeds supplier. The hearts themselves have a very thin, almost transparent, surface (husk) which the Goldfinches manage to remove with dexterity.
If your refering to the hard outer shell then perhaps source another supplier.

Hi PYRTEL, thanks for your reply.
Your description describes the hearts I buy also as, Bakers Quality & the husks are transparent. In the past I've even sent a sample of the discarded husks to a supplier. They were stumped & couldn't offer a reason.
Very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back