• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spanish Breeding Birds Atlas III - now online (1 Viewer)

John Cantelo

Although I'm enough of a Luddite to want it in book form, It's great news that the third Spanish Bird Atlas is now online and free to access. I've scarcely had time to look at it but from what I've seen it seems (as one would expect) a very authoritative and useful reference. One advantage of being online is that it's available in English (although I've yet to discover how good the translation is - Google?). It can be found at Inicio

Last edited:
Unless I've missed it, I don't think there is an English translation. There is a facility to search for a species account by English name. The figure and map captions are standardised and shown both in Spanish and in English. Like most atlasses, a great deal can be gleaned from the maps and figures alone but understanding written Spanish would definitely be an advantage. Very interesting anyway, especially the range changes since the previous (2003) atlas. I too would have liked a printed version (as well) but there wasn't the money.

My browser has helpfully translated it for me :) and quite well too

Edit: though it has charmingly translated Jack Snipe as "Crouching Girl"

My browser has helpfully translated it for me :) and quite well too

Edit: though it has charmingly translated Jack Snipe as "Crouching Girl"
I can see why. The Spanish name is Agachadiza chica. (Only present in winter in Spain but the atlas includes all species recorded during the survey periods).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back