• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Smartoscope v's VPA2 for use on Swarovski ATS 65 + 25-50 zoom with an Android phone? (1 Viewer)

Thrupenney Bit

United Kingdom
Hi,
After seeking advice here for a smartphone adaptor, I've come down to a choice between these two adaptors, the Smartoscope Vario or Swarovski's own VPA 2.
As I'm certain to update my Android smartphone soon, I've opted for these two as they are both universal adaptors, not specific for a given phone.
I've only recently acquired my 'scope, love it to bits and have no plans to change it!

I've tried to get information regarding Smartoscope but can't find a home page for them, so have looked around various UK retailers for information.
I've also seen a couple of YouTube reviews for them, and they seem to fit them on Kowa scopes, though UK retailers do have kits for Swarovski and other makes, plus a universal eyepiece option. I'm not sure how the eyepiece adaptor actually attaches to the eyepiece.
The Smartoscope does seem to be well made, with the main body holding the phone being aluminium.

The VPA2 seems much more simple, with a clip on eyepiece adaptor, and as it's made by Swarovvski my scope should have no issues in attaching it to the eyepiece.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has experience of using either adaptor on a Swarovski scope?

All information gratefully received!
best wishes
Q

I have the VPA and VPA 2 with the Swarovski scopes and my android and occasionally friend's iPhone. So far so good. Simple and fast.

View attachment 1587034

I have the VPA and VPA 2 with the Swarovski scopes and my android and occasionally friend's iPhone. So far so good. Simple and fast.

View attachment 1587034
Thanks Jason.
Good to know the VPA 2 is working well for you on a Swarovski scope.
I like the idea of 'simple and fast'!
cheers
Q

Thanks Jason.
Good to know the VPA 2 is working well for you on a Swarovski scope.
I like the idea of 'simple and fast'!
cheers
Q
I was talking to a retailer who sells both the Smartoscope and the VPA 2, gathering opinions. There seems to be little difference in price.
It sounds like the VPA 2 attaches in a more positive way and is less fiddly to use than the Smartoscope, though I was told the Smartoscope is 'well engineered'.
At the end of the conversation my mind was made up and I have a VPA 2 on order.
Fingers crossed!
cheers
Q

My friend has the VPA 2 and I use it on my iphone pro max 14 all the time. The clamp seems to be almost to the end where a slightly bigger case or future iphone that is bigger will definitely grow out of it. Anyone have experience with the Smartoscope kindly share. The clamp is tightened instead of spring on hence I can understand why its slower but over time plastic will give way especially in the sunny and humid weather where I stay.

My friend has the VPA 2 and I use it on my iphone pro max 14 all the time. The clamp seems to be almost to the end where a slightly bigger case or future iphone that is bigger will definitely grow out of it. Anyone have experience with the Smartoscope kindly share. The clamp is tightened instead of spring on hence I can understand why its slower but over time plastic will give way especially in the sunny and humid weather where I stay.
In the end I've invested in a VPA 2 as mentioned above.
The retailer where I bought it said the Smartoscope was very robust but slightly fiddly to fit onto your scope, hence me choosing the VPA 2.
I have used it once whilst carrying out a bird count, but have been busy since. I had a couple of shots of a Little Egret, slightly out of focus if honest as they kept moving, but ok to view on my phone. A success for my first time of using, and didn't have time to hang around and really have a good play as I had a count to do. I need to go out again with the sole purpose of playing with the VPA 2.
Q

thanks for sharing your experience! My friend and I uses the VPA 2 a lot, exchanging over phones etc and tbh the VPA 2 is quite easy to use. The only issue I can see is the constant tightening (align the lens then tighten) and the enlargement of the spring as the phones that were rotated are quite different in sizes and we are conscious of breaking or loosening the springs/parts over time hence trying to invest in another holder so that we reduce the number of phone change. I would love to get another VPA2 but was just wondering if any smartoscope users have experience to share since both will cost roughly the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back