• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Should I stick with M5s (1 Viewer)

I would move up to Nikon MHG 8x42's. Big jump in optics and build quality from the M5's, and you will have a binocular that will last the rest of your life.

If you look around, you can find them for about $700 to $800. Here is a new pair on eBay for $759.59.

So the plan is I ordered a pair of MHGs off Amazon at retail. I will check'em out vs the M5s and make a decision. If the HGs thrill me I think I can get Amazon to match a price off Ebay. Who knows? But if not I think they are an easy return to Amazon. I used them when trying out some 8x30s and sent them all back for refunds. The 8x30 platform, I felt had a lot of shortcoming and I prefer a full size? that is not that much bigger.

Thank you for all for the constructive feedback. I feel like I have a good plan moving forward. It is a nice adventure to try out all of these wonder full binos, as long as the retailer are accepting of "try outs".

Question: Is this more of a Euro centric group in terms of membership or about equal between Europe and US?

So the plan is I ordered a pair of MHGs off Amazon at retail. I will check'em out vs the M5s and make a decision. If the HGs thrill me I think I can get Amazon to match a price off Ebay. Who knows? But if not I think they are an easy return to Amazon. I used them when trying out some 8x30s and sent them all back for refunds. The 8x30 platform, I felt had a lot of shortcoming and I prefer a full size? that is not that much bigger.
You will like the MHG's. Did you get the 8x42's? I think they are the best binocular around under $1000.

The "Monarch" label has been used by Nikon for a long time (see link). Most likely Nikon thought the M5 was the best modern counterpart to the model you (OP) sent in and replaced it on that basis.

The HG you ordered ought to be noticeably superior, but ... to be honest, you don't need a superb binocular to enjoy birding - especially when even the Bogota botanial garden has spectacular critters like this!

The "Monarch" label has been used by Nikon for a long time (see link). Most likely Nikon thought the M5 was the best modern counterpart to the model you (OP) sent in and replaced it on that basis.

The HG you ordered ought to be noticeably superior, but ... to be honest, you don't need a superb binocular to enjoy birding - especially when even the Bogota botanial garden has spectacular critters like this!
I am thinking the same thing. I just got the MHGs and having been doing some neighborhood birding and comparing with M5s. The M5s don't suck. Except for the M5s 6.4 degrees FOV which I got used to with the last Monarchs, I am not seeing 4xs the price difference. I think I have a pretty good vision and subject awareness. Can you or someone tell me in what activities the MHGs would perform more noticeably? I will certainly take'm out tomorrow and look for varied sighting ops.

I am thinking the same thing. I just got the MHGs and having been doing some neighborhood birding and comparing with M5s. The M5s don't suck. Except for the M5s 6.4 degrees FOV which I got used to with the last Monarchs, I am not seeing 4xs the price difference. I think I have a pretty good vision and subject awareness. Can you or someone tell me in what activities the MHGs would perform more noticeably? I will certainly take'm out tomorrow and look for varied sighting ops.
With time you will get used to the 2 degree fov increase in the mhg. If you want to save a few $$$, try the Monarch M7, same fov as the mhg.

The MHG has a bit flatter field (though not right up to the edge) than the Monarch 7 and possibly the newer M7. Otherwise I found them quite comparable.

Compared to the 50° AFOV of the M5, the 66° AFOV (true FOV 8,3°) of the MHG is almost a revelation. Much more useful for finding flying targets, landscape viewing, astronomy, etc. Whether that's worth the price increase is for you to determine. It is to me.

Can you or someone tell me in what activities the MHGs would perform more noticeably? I will certainly take'm out tomorrow and look for varied sighting ops.
get thdm out at night under the stars, compare the fov & shape of stars/how small a point of light u see with each

I would be curious to read a comparison between M5 and MHG, since I have never been able to try a pair of them.

Anyway, my two cents. I had both M5s and M7s for a couple of weeks before I decided to keep the latter. I really liked the M5s and certainly could live with their narrow fov, but once you get used to the vast, immersive view of the M7s it is hard to go back. Not only from an enjoyment point of view, but also from a practical point of view. The M7s also seemed to me to have greater transparency, especially in low light conditions. The only drawback I found was in the ocular accommodation, perhaps because of the size of eyepieces and eyecups: the fact is that, while the M7 is more than usable, the M5s fit the shape of my face better. Other than that, if you can pay about $100 or less more, I think the M7s are worth it all.

Last edited:
I would be curious to read a comparison between M5 and MHG, since I have never been able to try a pair of them.

Anyway, my two cents. I had both M5s and M7s for a couple of weeks before I decided to keep the latter. I really liked the M5s and certainly could live with their narrow fov, but once you get used to the vast, immersive view of the M7s it is hard to go back. Not only from an enjoyment point of view, but also from a practical point of view. The M7s also seemed to me to have greater transparency, especially in low light conditions. The only drawback I found was in the ocular accommodation, perhaps because of the size of eyepieces and eyecups: the fact is that, while the M7 is more than usable, the M5s fit the shape of my face better. Other than that, if you can pay about $100 or less more, I think the M7s are worth it all.
You're right. I think the M7s are the happy balance. Not the best nor the worst. Right in the middle (sweet spot). Thanks for the feedback. I just have to sell the M5s and selling is not my favorite thing to do. It would have been nice if Nikon just sent me a coupon to buy whatever I like.

You're right. I think the M7s are the happy balance. Not the best nor the worst. Right in the middle (sweet spot). Thanks for the feedback. I just have to sell the M5s and selling is not my favorite thing to do. It would have been nice if Nikon just sent me a coupon to buy whatever I like.
You're welcome. And yes, I too believe that the M7 8x42s are the first binoculars in the price range to offer the complete package: excellent central sharpness, beautiful natural colours, smooth and quite accurate focus wheel, large and immersive fov, small but well balanced weight and dimensions, good materials and grip for the price and, my sample at least, very good performance in terms of glare and chromatic aberration containment.

Then of course, the edges are not sharp, the off-axis sharpness is not exceptional, it could be brighter and with better contrast, but to have these things in addition to everything it already offers I think it is inevitable to have to spend a few hundred bucks more.
The lack of DOF at short distances that some have complained about I have also noticed, but I think it depends on a slightly higher magnification than indicated.
The only real flaw, in my opinion, is the sample variation.

Hell, why not break out the big bucks, just make sure you get a good sample.

My $499+$50 shipping 8x42 SRBC literally smokes my Nikon Monarch M7 8x42 in every possible way while my $509+$50 shipping 10x42 SRBC are clearer and brighter with ZERO CA with night and day way wider views compared to my Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 which are lighter. Only negative is made in China but probably hands down the absolute best Chinese made bins on the planet while second best Chinese made won't even come close to them (Athlon Cronus UHD G2/ScoopX UHDs).

Honestly the Nikon Monarch M7 8x42 I just recently purchased were a major disappointment to my eyes.

Having already owning the Monarch HG 10x42 and Prostaff P7 10x42 and 8x30 and recently added 10x30 P7 and 8x30 MHG, I'll never use the M7 again.

The Prostaff P7 8x30 to my eyes are way more pleasant to use than the Monarch M7 regardless of such a huge price difference. Something about the brightness and wider FOV just works for the P7. Sale ends tomorrow I think and risk free Amazon buying free returns within 30 days I high recommend the 10x42 and 8x30 Prostaff P7. Awesome to my own eyes stunningly bright wide views.

I just purchased another spare 10x42 P7 due to Nikon USAs extremely sucky warranty and sale ending real soon while first one I paid $220 but current sale of $166 is much better.

My $499+$50 shipping 8x42 SRBC literally smokes my Nikon Monarch M7 8x42 in every possible way while my $509+$50 shipping 10x42 SRBC are clearer and brighter with ZERO CA with night and day way wider views compared to my Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 which are lighter. Only negative is made in China but probably hands down the absolute best Chinese made bins on the planet while second best Chinese made won't even come close to them (Athlon Cronus UHD G2/ScoopX UHDs).

One:

I am smelling a rat, you are a new member and with your posts so far, just trying to promote SRBC
binoculars. Be careful, you have been found out. Promotions like this are not allowed on the site.
You won't be on here for very long. You have been reported to Admin.................
Jerry

One:

I am smelling a rat, you are a new member and with your posts so far, just trying to promote SRBC
binoculars. Be careful, you have been found out. Promotions like this are not allowed on the site.
You won't be on here for very long. You have been reported to Admin.................
Jerry
I not only supposedly promote SRBC based on actual performance and cost I also like to promote Nikon Prostaff P7 especially since their sale ends soon, also the $100 ScoopX UHDs, and the $399 Scheel's Vortex Rage HD since they're currently on sale at $100 off, and I think there must be an anti SRBC sentiment or perhaps anti China sentiment however I don't have any skin in their brand and bought all four of their models with my own money and do not benefit at all if they sell more or less of them. I'm not affiliated with them just a satisfied customer that's all. I'm actually a binoculars whore who buys many brands and not bound to only one brand if you havent already noticed.

Be careful, you have been found out. Promotions like this are not allowed on the site.
And I hope this "report" gets treated with every ounce of the contempt it deserves.

@OneH - you seem to have quite a few excellent binoculars already - I would recommend (for what it's worth) using and fully familiarizing yourself with their performance under different conditions; it's a lot more enjoyable than chasing after the next exciting thing. Do let us know what you're seeing with them, etc. I envy the happily retired - I just hope my vision will still be able to do justice to my binoculars when I get there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back