• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Say's phoebe? (New Mexico) (1 Viewer)

jbohuslavek

Hi all, I took this picture yesterday in the desert near Albuquerque, NM. Is it a Say's phoebe? Please, let me know. If it isn't what is it? Sorry about the second picture - my camera does not zoom much...
Thanks!

Attachments

• Bird small format.jpg
    Bird small format.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Bird 2 small format.jpg
    Bird 2 small format.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 129
Definitely not a Say's Phoebe with that seed-eating, finch-like beak (among other things). I can see why you might have thought it was with those warm underparts, but here's a shot of one from the Gallery so you can see how different not only is the overall structure but the beak shape as well:

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15744/sort/1/cat/all/page/1

The bird's pretty fluffed up so you can't see the "necklace" on the upper breast (just hints of the pattern), but the brownish cap, orangey underparts, light belly, bi-colored beak and overall robust structure say Canyon Towhee to me. :t:

jbohuslavek said:
Hi all, I took this picture yesterday in the desert near Albuquerque, NM. Is it a Say's phoebe? Please, let me know. If it isn't what is it? Sorry about the second picture - my camera does not zoom much...
Thanks!

The other folks are right, Canyon Towhee. They are very brave around here, one flew into my building last year. I had to catch him and move him back outside. 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back