• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB WPG 8.5x42 (1 Viewer)

the_handy_andy

I am thinking about getting a pair of these after trying them at The Lodge last Saturday (would have bought them there and then but they were out of stock)

I could however change my mind and go for the 8x42 Viking Vistrons as I've found a pair for £125 (as I really like the click-stop dioptre correction)

Has anyone got either of the above and how do you find them?

Andrew

PS The price difference would be £45 so is it worth paying that for PC prisms (as the Vikings don't appear to be PC)?

even more options (why so much to choose from?)

Viking Vistron Binoculars 8x42 £125.00
RSPB WPG 8.5x42 £170.00
Opticron Explorer BGA 8x42 Black £150.00
Opticron Professional Lens Cleaning Kit £0.00
Bushnell Excursion 8x42 £125.00
Camlink Rutland 8x42 £100.00
Hawke Endurance CF 8x42 Black £145.00
Vanguard Platinum LDT Series 8x42 £110.00
Vixen Alpina 8x42 £155.00
Vortex Diamondback 8x42 £145.00

Just to add to your confusion I think the Opticron Discovery 8x42 is possibly the same basic binocular as the Viking Vistron and does have PC. It is currently available for £95 from Sherwoods for the original aluminium bodied version. My other half uses one and loves it.

I have heard good things about the Opticron Explorer too, although I haven't tried it myself. I haven't tried the RSPB WPB either but all the specs look excellent. I can't be more helpful but good luck with your choice.

Ron

Hi Andrew

I demo the Rspb/Viking brands as a volunteer so can comment on those bins a bit.

Up until recently the WPG's were out of stock and my recollection of them when they were in stock wasn't all that favourable. However last Sunday they were back again and so I was able to try them out and as it happened I compared the Vistron 8x42 with the 8,5x42 WPG as they are roughly the same price.

This time round I was quite impressed with the WPG's. They had a wider view than the Vistron's and had I felt better build quality. That was my impression indoors at any rate. Oh yes the dioptre does have click stops on it too.

I don't know about the other bins you mention so if you can find somewhere to try them out it's up to you. Ditto whether the PC coating on thr RSPB and extra outlay is worth it. Personally if I had to choose at the same price between the Viking and RSPB bin it would be the RSPB.

As you've tried them and liked them maybe you should go with them. Did you compare the Vistron side by side with the WPG's?

Hope this helps a bit.

Nev

PS 10yr warranty on rspb v 5yr on Viking

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back