• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Question about identifying waders (1 Viewer)

JayFeatherPL

Poland
Hello! While I was recently reading waders’ descriptions in the Collins Guide Book, I found out, that many vagrant waders in Europe (especially little sandpipers or stints) are extremely similar to other vagrant waders and/or to migration species in Europe. These birds are especially similar during winter and in order to see many features of these sandpipers, you have to be a ringer and hold the bird in the hand! For example a diagnostical feature of a semipalmated sandpiper is a partial web between its fingers and this feature is basically the only feature which separates the semipalmated sandpiper during winter from a red-necked stint during winter. In the field, when the bird is far away, it is impossible to see the partial web or its lack. And in order to see it you have to hold the bird in the hand. On the other hand you have to use the silhouette, the structure to separate red-necked stint from the little stint and birds don’t always look typical and they can vary, and it’s hard to estimate if the bird has a longer body or a shorter body without comparison (typical red-necked stints should have longer body than little stints). I don’t even mention pacific golden plover and american golden plover which are not only similar to each other, but they’re also extremely similar to a european golden plover. In the field when the bird is far away it is really hard to see the longer primary projection in the american golden plover, and the length of the legs (which is also a diagnostical feature) is also hard to estimate without any comparison. Are these birds really sometimes impossible to ID, when you’re observing them with a scope? Do you really have to hold the bird in the hand in order to ID it? Thanks for the answer in advance!

PS: One brief question: Do you ID waders by their silhouette (shape and length of the bill, length of the legs, shape of the body, size) or by colors and plumage details? Thanks for the answer in advance.

As far as I can recall, no British wader vagrants have been identified on capture; there are identifying marks which can be seen in the field, but they are not necessarily consistent between plumages. The best hint is to look at as many waders as possible, so that you get your eye in for the one that looks odd. That way, you should find things like Curlew Sandpiper or Little Stint, and your knowledge will grow.

As far as I can recall, no British wader vagrants have been identified on capture; there are identifying marks which can be seen in the field, but they are not necessarily consistent between plumages. The best hint is to look at as many waders as possible, so that you get your eye in for the one that looks odd. That way, you should find things like Curlew Sandpiper or Little Stint, and your knowledge will grow.
So could you please help me in separating semipalmated sandpiper from red-necked stint (obviously, when you can't see the web!)? Because I thought it is (nearly) impossible...

A strange question. Lots of features - structural, plumage, colour, 'jizz', distribution etc, enable separation of these two species in the field by the experienced observer - in the unlikely(?) circumstance that they should ever be found together! Could I ask why this species pair in particular?

RB

A strange question. Lots of features - structural, plumage, colour, 'jizz', distribution etc, enable separation of these two species in the field by the experienced observer - in the unlikely(?) circumstance that they should ever be found together! Could I ask why this species pair in particular?

RB
Because both these birds are (rare) vagrants in Europe and for me, they look very similar just like many other vagrant wader species.

Realistically the task here would be to distinguish either from Little Stint; Red-necked is very similar in shape to Little Stint so you would be looking for plumage differences. Semipalmated is rather more different and might be picked out by bill shape. Both are very unlikely to be present in the U.K., so if you think you are looking at one, expect to be part of a crowd!

RB
Actually, during winter, you can't separate red-necked stint from semipalmated sandpiper using colours/plumage because it's identical. The only useful feature is the structure, which is also very similar...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back