• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One tone, and one note wonder (1 Viewer)

Sandy63

United States
Hello
New border here and I have most recently arrived in Florida. Everyday I hear a bird that I cannot identify. I found a post from 2009 that describes the bird perfectly but with no id offered. It is from Mike and is as follows:

It is one long note/ stop. Other times it is one long note/pause/ one long note. I don't believe I have heard three successive calls.

The bird answers a return call from me almost invariably.

The quality is very similar to a two second, clear, one note whistle of a human. There is no trilling, or warbling. It is just a clear, steady sound which on occasion goes just a bit lower at the end. It doesn't stop "short," rather it just kind of tails off... . “

Thanks for your assistance,
Sandy

Attachments

• IMG_4597.mov
    18.1 MB
Welcome to BF.
Can you give the actual location, as this often helps in an ID. Thanks.
I'm afraid I'm confused... I don't know the call in your recording - but much of the other person's description that you quote...
one long note/ stop. Other times it is one long note/pause/ one long note. I don't believe I have heard three successive calls . . .
a two second . . . whistle . . .
kind of tails off
...seems very different from your recording which features a call lasting 1-1.5 sec in total and comprising 4-5 notes of c ¼ sec each. Or am I misunderstanding something?

Welcome to BF.
Can you give the actual location, as this often helps in an ID. Thanks.
I'm afraid I'm confused... I don't know the call in your recording - but much of the other person's description that you quote...

...seems very different from your recording which features a call lasting 1-1.5 sec in total and comprising 4-5 notes of c ¼ sec each. Or am I misunderstanding something?
Wellborn ,Florida is the location. It is most often one note lasting between 1.5-2 seconds but occasionally up to 3 seconds. The pitch never seems to change. However, when there is a second bird that joins in the tone is slightly lower. That is why I recorded it. Mike’s description from 2009 was the closest I found searching archived questions. I still have not seen the bird but it will respond when I whistle back. I have done sequences of two and three and have occasionally had the bird answer back with the same number of whistles as I sent. I apologize if I do not know the proper “birding” lingo as I am a beginner. I utilize Cornell Lab’s “Merlin” app which has been pretty accurate and has only failed to identify an owl in Alabama and this bird in Florida. Thanks for taking the time to listen to the video. I appreciate your feedback.

Could potentially be a Blue Jay, they make lots of random sounds. Obviously the easiest way to ID would be to find the bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back